10 Ice Cream Makers to Get the DIY Sundae Party Started
As much as we love heading to our neighborhood creamery or fro-yo joint, there’s nothing like making your very own ice cream at home. And since we’ve already shown you our picks for other amazing frozen treat gadgets, and given you the scoop on how to throw an epic ice cream social, we figured it’s an obvious must that we share with you the smartest ice cream makers on the market. They range from classy and old-fashioned to high-tech and futuristic, along with everything in between. So dust off the rock salt, grab some sundae toppings and get ready to whip up all of your favorite flavors.
1. Play + Freeze Ice Cream Maker ($23 and up): If you can put in a little bit of elbow grease, this ingenious ice cream maker creates a one-of-a-kind frozen treat. The best part is that it doesn’t even feel like “elbow grease” when you’re just playing with a ball!
2. Cuisinart Pure Indulgence ($70): It ain’t called Pure Indulgence for nothin’! This ice cream maker pulls off specialty frozen blends like a champ. It makes two quarts of ice cream, frozen yogurt or sorbet in under an hour, all in a sleek package with a stowaway cord.
3. Nostalgia Electrics Ice Cream Maker ($29): Get all the nostalgia of an old-fashioned ice cream maker with the convenience of a modern machine. An electric motor does the churning and the kitschy design takes you back in time.
4. Yonanas Ice Cream Maker ($51): One of our favorite ice cream alternatives is a tasty frozen banana, but this gadget will take all frozen fruit to a new level. It’s simple to use too, so your new weeknight ritual will be turning those extra cantaloupe slices and rogue berries into tasty ice cream.
5. Hamilton Beach Half Pint Ice Cream Maker ($23): Take your make sesh outside with this stellar portable piece. Bring it on your next picnic (or to the office, we won’t tell) and try out your favorite recipe on the go. It only makes three servings at a time, but at just $23, the sweet price makes up for it.
6. Wooden Bucket Hand Cranked Ice Cream Maker ($167): Machines are great, but there’s something so charming about cranking the ice cream maker yourself. Skip the power outlet and put a little work into making your very own dessert the old-fashioned way.
7. Cuisinart Soft Serve Maker ($70): Get the soft serve of your dreams with this supremely sweet soft serve maker. It packs a big punch as it whips it up in just 20 minutes, holds your cone and dispenses up to three toppings over your ice cream. Bonus: It comes in pink.
8. DeLonghi Gelato Maker ($281): The self-refrigerating compressor in this pick means you can make batches back-to-back without having to put the container in the freezer! It mixes from top to bottom to give the impressive gelato flavor you’ve been longing for.
9. Deni Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker ($43): Leave the salt and ice behind while this automatic ice cream maker does the work. Plus, you can drop cookies and candy into the built-in crusher for easy-as-pie toppings that’ll blow everyone away.
10. Peddler’s Creamery: If you still like the idea of making your own ice cream but aren’t into investing in gadgets, you could always travel to Los Angeles to churn it with your own two legs! This fun creamery serves dozens of flavors of bicycle-churned, organic ice cream that’ll change your life. (via Peddler’s Creamery)
Will you be making your own ice cream this season? What’s your favorite summer treat? Give us a shout out with your thoughts below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.