9 Indie Swimsuit Brands You Need to Know
When it comes to stocking up on swimwear, there are a few destinations we tend to turn to season after season. Places like Forever 21 and Target are two that usually always make it to the top of the list. While we do love a bargain, we definitely pay the price toward the end of summer – you know, when the elastic is all stretched out and the color is super faded? If you’re looking to expand your horizons this summer, go ahead and add some of these indie swimwear labels to your warm weather wardrobe.
1. Cali Dreaming: For all you minimalists out there, this is a label you’re not going to want to miss. Cali Dreaming is full of neutral tones that could easily be paired with more colorful tops. However, should you opt to purchase a full set, they have some super unique tops like this high-necked number ($99) or this one-shouldered piece ($99).
2. Tori Praver Swimwear: You may recognize this Miami-based designer from her recent Target collab – some of which you can still find online. However, if you’re looking for something more, check out her online shop, which is full of wild prints, fun ties and flattering cuts.
3. Nettle’s Tale: This line first came across our radar when they released a lookbook featuring girls of all different sizes. Each swimsuit is designed for and named after a particular woman whose body and story inspired the suit. An entire set from this Vancouver-based brand runs anywhere from $129 to $188.
4. Mara Hoffman: Full of wild and patterns and fun silhouettes, this line is perhaps the most playful of them all. However, it’s definitely not the cheapest. This gorgeous swimsuit will set you back $226. If you’re prepared to spend a pretty penny for some awesome swimwear you might also want to check out this two-piece that could totally pass for a Lisa Frank illustration.
5. Sapphire Bliss: With an accompanying lingerie line, this swimwear brand is full of sexy, feminine elements like extra straps and playful hemlines. Their bikinis and one-pieces are definitely worth a browse, but the piece that caught our attention was this nude kaftan ($148) that takes the scalloped edge to a whole other level.
6. Zephyr and Zulu: If there’s one thing Australians know well, it’s how to make swimwear. Case in point: this amazing line. If you’re the kind of gal who likes to add a playful element to everything you wear, this floral bikini top ($50) or bold, striped one-piece ($140) will be right up your alley.
7. Sea Dreamer: Slip back into the ’70s with this Australian brand. Ditch the spandex for the old-school, crocheted style Sea Dreamer is known for. Sadly, this stunner of a one-piece is currently sold out, but we’re also totally swooning over this purple and blue bikini ($50).
8. Hackwith Design House: We’re going to go ahead and call Hackwith Design House the Everlane of swimwear. Full of neutral tones, you can pretty much pair any top with any bottom in this line. HDH only creates about 25 of each piece, making all of them uniquely rare and special. Because of that, the label doesn’t sell their clothing in collections but rather releases one new design every Monday.
9. Giejo: If you like going bold when it comes to swimwear, try a suit from NY-based label Giejo. Here you’ll find bold florals, stripes and a super colorful Aztec print.
What’s your favorite indie swim line? Share with us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.