8 Bridesmaid Style Tips from Jessica Simpson’s Wedding
Wedding bells rang for Jessica Simpson over this past fourth of July weekend, when the singer got hitched to former football star Eric Johnson. Like every bride on her big day, Jess stunned in her custom gown and veil by Carolina Herrera (who also dreamed up the dress for Jess’s daughter Maxwell!). And we can say the same for her bridesmaids — all 14 of them(!!!!). From stylish sis Ashlee and mom Tina — yep, Jess asked her mom to be Maid of Honor! — to the 12 other besties that rounded out the bridal party, each looked exquisite in an unexpected way. That’s ’cause Jess shook up all the rules you thought you know about styling your bridesmaids, and the results might actually usher in a new, more exciting era of wedding day primping.
Thanks to candid behind-the-scenes vids by People, you’re about to get a first-hand look at just how Jessica made her closest bffs “feel the most beautiful they have ever felt in their life,” courtesy of perfectly windswept hairdos, straight-off-the-runway looks and lots of rhinestones.
“Of course as a bride, we all want to feel the most beautiful we’ve ever felt,” Jessica said, “but I think the support system of everyone else feeling the best is what makes you feel the best.” Awwww, Jess! We get how you’ve got sooo many best girlfriends. We’ll cheers to that by showing you 8 alternate ideas for styling your bridesmaids, straight from Jessica Simpson.
1. Get Done Up in Silky Robes: Jess kept cozy in a pink silk robe while she finalized her bridesmaids’ looks. Get your girls to lounge in style too with the most luxe matching loungewear around: a bell sleeve kimono ($69) with lace trim tap shorts ($29) + a longline bra.
2. Set a Look for Each Gal: Jess kept stressing that she wanted her bridesmaids to feel “the best they’ve ever felt” by letting each of her besties wear their own dream dress — no color scheme or similar silhouettes required. Jess’ wedding stylist (+ bridesmaid!) Nicole Chavez gushed great advice, “Make sure each girl is individualized and style them like they would style themselves.” (via Vogue)
3. String the Styles Together With a Feel: Jess’ vibe of choice = ethereal, or more specifically “angelic, but of course with rhinestones on top.” That means no matter what style or color dress they don (BTW one of Jessica’s bridesmaid’s wore a floor-length chartreuse number — HOT!), materials like crystals ($162), lace + tulle ($210) and beaded embellishments ($162) will tie them all together.
4. Say I Do to Boho Updos: No sleek chignons allowed! Each gal in Jess; bridal party was given her own signature boho-inspired hairdo, from loose halo braids to perfectly tousled half-up hair that each added to the romance of the fashionable fête. (via Garden of Whimsy + Green Wedding Shoes)
5. Add Sparkle With Rhinestone Hair Accessories: Add some Jessica-approved sparkle on top with vintage-inspired crystal hairpins ($140) or a super dreamy headpiece ($1,000) that add extra elegance to updos and function as another way to tie the personalized bridal looks together.
6. Drip in Bling With Statement Earrings: Jess was not kidding when she said she wanted her gals covered in rhinestones! Trays of glittering drop earrings were available to bling out each bridesmaid’s look, and they peeked sooo tastefully behind their wispy locks. Keep it classic with your leading ladies with all-white drops ($36) or outsource your “something blue” with tinted gem drops ($38).
7. Add Pops of Color With Bold Lips: While their dresses featured a rich palette of golds, creams and greens, Jess’s bridesmaids let their girly sides shine through with pops of brightly-colored lipstick. Pinks and reds paired perfectly with dramatic smokey eyes for a completely sublime look. (via Brit + Co)
8. Include Mom in the (Bridal) Party: Cue the awws: Jessica asked her mother Tina to be her Maid of Honor. “My family is my life, it’s everything that I am,” Jess said, and there aren’t many more mom-daughter moments more spectacular than this. Even if you want to keep your bridal party to Class of ’08 graduates, (really, we get it, and we’re sure mom would, too), you can still include her in the frills with a faux “ask” tailor-made for M.O.M. (via Style Me Pretty)
What style + beauty tips do you have for brides-to-be and their right hand gals? Which of Jessica’s creative tips would you use in your nuptials? Tell us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)