12 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do With Your Kitchen Bullet
When people think about their kitchen bullet, they usually associate it with making smoothies. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with that — hello, apple pie smoothie — there is so much more you can do with this tiny kitchen tool. Whether you’re rushing out the door, need a quick snack or just want to save some money, this little guy is ready to be your new BFF. Scroll through to see 12 creative ways your kitchen bullet can make your life better.
1. Salad Dressing: If you want a healthy alternative to store-bought salad dressing, just use the items that are already in your kitchen. You can easily blend all the ingredients for a quick, healthy dressing. (via CaliZona)
2. Margaritas: It’s five o’clock somewhere. Blend the ice, tequila, margarita mix and whatever fruit you’ve got on hand. Having real fruit in your drink makes it healthy, right? We think so. Give this recipe a try for a spin on the traditional margarita. (via Dessert for Two)
3. Coffee Beans: Coffee is our best friend in the morning, but not all of us are lucky enough to have a coffee grinder in our kitchen arsenal. Enter the kitchen bullet: You can grind the beans with the milling blade and customize the texture based on your coffee method. If you’re using a traditional coffee brewer, grind the beans until they reach a fine-course grind. If you’re using a pour over like a chemex, grind the beans to a medium-course grind.
4. Almond Butter: You can’t go wrong with almond butter; it’s delicious on everything. With the milling blade, you can easily blend the nuts until they reach a smooth consistency. To keep things natural, just add some honey for a little sweetness. (via Naturally Ella)
5. Chocolate Cake: So it’s late at night and you’re craving a chocolate fix, but you don’t want the hassle of cleaning up a ton of dishes. We hear you. Use the mini blender to easily whip up a few ingredients and then bake it in the oven for a delicious chocolate cake for one. (via Magic Bullet Blog)
6. Homemade Face/Hair Mask: You can use your bullet to create home-beauty remedies too. Whether it’s an avocado hair mask or a coffee face mask, you’ll be whipping up beauty treatments in seconds. (via Giadani)
8. Nutella: While Nutella is a staple in every household, it doesn’t have the healthiest ingredients (as much as we hate to admit it). Try making your own at home with roasted hazelnuts. (via Carey Nershi/Food52)
9. Homemade Ice Cream: No matter what the season, ice cream is a staple. Make your batch healthier than ever by blending frozen bananas until the consistency is smooth. For extra flavor, add peanut butter or honey, along with your favorite toppings. Did someone say Nutella? (via The Kitchn)
10. Powdered Sugar: Don’t fret if you need powdered sugar, but all you have is granulated sugar. Just blend it for a few seconds until it starts turning into a powder. Now, make some beignets and shake what your mama gave ya! (via Half Baked Harvest)
11. Homemade Tea: The best teas use the freshest ingredients. Now you can create tasty tea blends with your own ingredients. After blending, just place them in your tea infuser and get brewing. (via Megan Scott/Food52)
Know any cool tricks you can do with your kitchen bullet? Tell us in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.