18 Smoothies That Won’t Cancel Out Your Workout
You’ve just finished a killer workout and now you’re starving. But before you cancel out all those calories you just burned by indulging in a sugary drink or granola bar, help your muscles recover with one of these healthy, post-workout smoothies. The right smoothie can boost your metabolism, keep your energy high and help you keep burning calories long after your workout. Whether you’re in the mood for something green or want to pack in some extra protein, we’ve got 18 super-healthy smoothies to keep you feeling good.
1. Blueberry Green Tea: Craving something super green? This one has got three greens with amazing superpowers: chlorella, spirulina and matcha. Between those three, you’ve got plenty of B-vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids, iron and chlorophyll to improve immunity, alkalinity and reduce inflammation. (via The Fresh Method)
2. Chocolate Chia Recovery Drink: Here’s a creamy, rich chocolate protein shake that’s perfect for post-workout recovery. There is no dairy — only coconut water — and it’s loaded with natural electrolytes, healthy fats, fiber and tons of protein. (via Minimalist Baker)
3. Peanut Butter, Banana and Oat Milk: Creamy peanut butter gives this smoothie a milkshake flavor, but we promise it’s all healthy. Bananas, nut milk and flax seeds make for beautiful insides and outsides. (via Refinery 29)
5. Chocolate Smoothie: Don’t laugh, chocolate is a superfood, up there alongside spinach and blueberries. Blend up some dark chocolate shavings with an avocado and a handful of chia seeds for a smoothie that will have your skin glowing. (via Ren Behan)
7. Pineapple Turmeric Smoothie: Recover immediately after your workout with this delicious smoothie. The ratio of carbs-to-protein replenishes muscle glycogen. Fresh turmeric and pineapple give a boost of antioxidant support. (via My Vega)
9. Creamy Green Smoothie: After a tough workout, you need a nutrient-rich smoothie to give you some serious fuel. Banana, almond milk, vanilla powder and coconut oil will give you all the healthy fats, carbs and protein you need for muscle recovery. (via Lexi’s Clean Kitchen)
10. Immune-Booster Orange Smoothie: You’ll never believe the secret ingredient in this creamy, orange smoothie: sweet potato! A perfect balance of sweetness and spice and with less than 10 ingredients, this smoothie is perfect for a quick pick-me-up. (via Minimalist Baker)
11. Five-Ingredient Detox: Offset some holiday decadence with an easy, superfood smoothie. Frozen berries make a cold and creamy texture and spinach and flax seeds add antioxidants and Omega-3s. (via Minimalist Baker)
12. Blueberry Protein Smoothie: Adding a scoop of protein powder helps give you a more well-rounded and balanced smoothie that will keep you feeling full for longer, so you don’t cave and sneak some unhealthy snacks. (via Country Cleaver)
15. Mango Lime Smoothie: Creamy and tangy, this smoothie is sweetened with honey. Raw honey is great for all skin types, promotes healthy skin tone and can even help prevent aging. We’ll drink to that. (via Minimalist Baker)
16. Blueberry Peach Kale Smoothie: Hide your greens under a delicious disguise of creamy peaches and purple berries. Kale is packed with Vitamin K, Vitamin A, fiber and omega-3 fats and blueberries give a boost of brain power. (via Snack Rules)
18. Peanut Butter Oatmeal Smoothie: Oatmeal in a smoothie? Absolutely. Just think of it as a hearty breakfast that you can drink on your way back from the gym. If you want it sweeter, add some honey or coconut milk. (via The Kitchen Paper)
What are your favorite ingredients to put in smoothies? Share your tips in the comments below!
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!