14 Living Room Decorating Mistakes You Should Avoid
Whether we’re watching TV, catching up with friends or working on our latest DIY project, we can all agree that the living room is one of the most important rooms in our homes. Since we spend so much time there, it only makes sense to want to have a room fits into your life, is comfortable and reflects your personality. Whether you’re moving to a new place or just in the middle of a re-do, here are 14 decorating mistakes to avoid for a perfect living room.
1. Not Measuring the Room First: It may be boring to pull out the tape measure and keep track of sizes, but it’s important to know dimensions before you begin planning. Eyeballing it won’t cut it… which you’ll soon find out once you try to fit that “little” couch in that “giant” space. (via Brit + Co)
2. Not Paying Attention to Lighting: Make sure to think about the lighting right at the beginning, and don’t stick to overhead lights. Try to incorporate multiple layers — fron hanging chandeliers and recessed lighting to floor and table lamps. (via Brit + Co)
3. Painting Too Soon: As fun and exciting as it is to pick a color for that statement wall, hold off until you have your room set. It’s much easier to paint to match the perfect sofa rather than the other way around. (via Brit + Co)
5. Choosing Uncomfortable Furniture: You’re going to spend lots of time watching Netflix on that couch or chair, so make sure the furniture you choose not only looks nice, but is something you’ll actually use and enjoy. (via Brit + Co)
9. Going Pillow Crazy: Who doesn’t love a good throw pillow? Just make sure not to have too many, which can look fussy. A good rule of thumb is one pillow for every two feet of sitting space. (via Brit + Co)
10. Overdoing the Accessories: We know: You love all those odds and ends you’ve gathered up through life. But try not to have too many knickknacks floating around. Consolidate the ones you do have into one area. (via Brit + Co)
12. Not Incorporating Enough Artwork: Your living room should be a reflection of you, not just a copy of something in a magazine. Artwork is the best way to personalize a space. (via The Design Files)
13. Decorating for a Life You Want: As much as you may love the look of all-white furniture, if you’ve got kids, that probably doesn’t make the most sense. Think about your lifestyle and your habits, and pick furniture and accessories that will fit into your life. (via Decor8)
14. Going Over Your Budget: It’s important to stay within your means, but that doesn’t mean you have to give up the looks you love. Be creative. For example, rather than wallpapering an entire room, try an accent wall. Or skip spendy wallpaper altogether and reach for the washi tape. (via Brit + Co)
What tips do you have for decorating the living room? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook!