The Unexpected Place Lupita Nyong’o Wants a Tattoo
Ever since taking both the acting and fashion worlds by storm after her film debut in 12 Years a Slave and endlessly killing it on the red carpet throughout the 2014 awards season, Lupita Nyong’o has stayed slaying us with inspiring trips and endless mani-pedi moments.
While the actress obviously looks beyond flawless in stunningly gorgeous gowns with impeccable makeup and hairstyles in the piece, she also serves up incredibly fun and OTT inspiring insights in the Vogue feature. For instance, she reveals that after bursting onto the scene and becoming a household name in the matter of minutes Oprah gave her some amazing advice (naturally) about life in the spotlight. “Oprah Winfrey advised me to figure out what my intention is and to act on it. I think I can make a difference by having certain stories be told. But it’s in the hope that I will not always be the only one telling them.” Oprah, can we get some life advice please and thank you?!
When it comes to deciding on all of those unforgettable outfits she shows up in on red carpets, she shares it’s a collaborative process between her and her stylist, Micaela Erlanger. “I only wear a look if both of us agree on it. My rule is that I have to recognize myself. I have to feel like I’ve chosen it.”
Lupita also shared memories of her first fashion moment and how she has fashion design DIY DNA in her. When she was five she remembers wearing a “very ’80s red cord miniskirt with suspender straps.” As far as that budding fashion design insight goes, she told the publication that her bi-weekly salon visits would include reading “American, British and a few African magazines.” After getting inspo from those mags she shared she would design her own clothes. We need to see those pieces, Lupita!
In addition to the written profile Lupita also participated in Vogue‘s “73 Questions” video series, which has featured Blake Lively, Daniel Radcliffe, Reese Witherspoon and more stars revealing all kinds of random facts about themselves in a rapid-fire Q&A session. While hula hooping through half of the interview we learned a ton about the Kenyan-born actress, some highlights include:
- Best advice she’s ever received? “Don’t sweat the small stuff.”
- Best first date idea? “Racquetball!”
- TV show she’d like to cameo on? “Game of Thrones.”
- If she wasn’t an actress she’d be? “A massage therapist.”
- Favorite holiday? “Thanksgiving in America, Christmas in Kenya and Día de Muertos in Mexico.”
- Advice she’d give her 15-year-old self? “Lose the beret.”
- Puppies or kittens? “Puppies!”
- Pearls or diamonds? “Pearls!”
- What’s something every woman should have in her closet? “Socks.”
- Favorite fashion trend of all time? “A wide-brimmed hat.”
- Favorite Disney character? “Pocahontas.”
- Most influential fashion icon? “My mommy.”
- Most fashionable woman of all time? “Diana Vreeland.”
- Favorite beverage? “Pineapple juice.”
- What does she love on her pizza? “I like a margherita pizza.”
- Book she plans on reading and book that positively shaped her? “Bryan Stevenson’s Just Mercy and Marianne Williamson’s A Return to Love.”
Oh, and that tattoo? If she got inked, it would be: “An infinity sign between my fingers.” Lupita, you are perfection personified. <3
What fact about Lupita Nyong’o was your favorite from the October issue of Vogue? Let us know in the comments.
(Photos via Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott/Vogue)