A new baby’s on the way for Alexandra Breckenridge, and Pink is picking sides in one of music’s biggest beefs in this morning’s top news stories. Check out those and more below in the Friday Morning Buzz.
1. Alexandra Breckenridge, who plays Kevin’s ex-wife Sophie on This Is Us, announced via Instagram on Wednesday that she’s expecting a baby with her husband, Katy Perry guitarist Casey Hooper. “We made another one!!” she captioned the sweet baby bump pic, adding that baby Breckenridge-Hooper is due this winter. Breckenridge and Hooper are already parents of an 11-month-old baby boy, Jack. It’s unknown at the moment if her pregnancy will be written into This Is Us — when season one ended, things were left unfinished between Sophie and Kevin.
2. James Corden paid emotional tribute to the victims of the Barcelona attack. Late Thursday afternoon, a van drove into Barcelona’s popular Las Ramblas tourist strip, killing at least 13 and injuring at least 100, in what is being called a terror attack. Corden delivered a serious and important message at the top of his show, reminding viewers not to let these events become normalized. “When we hear about London or Paris, Stockholm, and now Barcelona, you could almost start to become numb to it,” he said. “But we must not allow it to become something that’s normal. We must talk about it so that we remember how sad, horrific, and tragic these moments are.” Corden ended his opening remarks by sending condolences to the victims and their families, saying, “Our job here is to bring a bit of light and levity to the end of your day in a world where it is becoming often too hard to find.”
3. Pink picked a side in the Taylor vs. Katy beef — but said it’s a fight no one will win. Just days after Pink brilliantly shut down a Twitter troll who tried to restart her old feud with Christina Aguilera, UK radio station KISS FM brought her into the long-running beef between Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. During a round of rapid-fire questions, the host asked, “Taylor or Katy?” and Pink answered, “Taylor? Is that okay?” before quickly adding, “You can’t win no matter what you say, anyway. Everyone wakes up offended.” Pink wants no part of any more drama, and she makes an important point: People will think what they want anyway, so don’t worry about them — worry about you!
4. A new Riverdale teaser just dropped and it is SO JUICY. The new Riverdale season two trailer packs a LOT into a short 30 seconds: There’s a steamy shower scene starring Veronica (and we THINK Archie), some tragic news in the town, and, um, Archie, WHY DO YOU HAVE A GUN?! The second season starts Wednesday, October 11, which is just way too far away.
5. Miley Cyrus just surprised us with a new song and video, and it’s the perfect weekend tune. Cyrus’s new album Younger Now isn’t out until September 29, but she just surprise-dropped the title track — and we’re loving it. “Younger Now” sticks close to the acoustic direction we’ve heard in her last couple of singles, and in the video, she pays tribute to Elvis Presley with some of the crooner’s most recognizable wardrobe looks (naturally, she totally pulls it off). Check out the song and video above. Hit repeat all weekend.
6. Quote of the day: “A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open.” — Frank Zappa
Do you have any fun creative projects planned this weekend? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Theo Wargo/Getty)