This Celeb-Approved Style Hack Will Get You Noticed at Summer Weddings
There’s something refreshing about celebrities who wear their everyday items in an unexpected way, such as when they repurpose a DIYed t-shirt with a killer formal suit or wear a simple white button down with a ballgown skirt. Lately, they’ve been rocking moto jackets with their red carpet-ready princess gowns, and it looks good, y’all.
Style maven Whitney Port even wore it in Barcelona to an event. It’s a great way to take something classy and give it just a hint of edge.
Selita Ebanks wore it on the red carpet at a recent NYC Ballet event — super surprising choice for a formal event like that! The off-beat combo of a long, sweeping gown with a tough leather topper is perfect for all your summer wedding needs — you’ll definitely be a style star with this look. Here are some of our favorite combos.
1. Lilla P Terry Moto Jacket ($240) and A by Amanda Rio Maxi ($99): This soft-shouldered jacket will keep the chill away for sure, and can also be used in-office and for a casual weekend. It’s a great investment piece, with this being the most surprising way to wear it.
2. BLANKNYC Faux Leather Moto Jacket ($98) and Wildfox Floral Maxi ($158): Just like Whitney’s pale, dreamy colors, this pink and blue combo takes two daytime closet staples and makes them into a nighttime ensemble with jazzed up jewelry, strappy heels and a metallic clutch.
3. Levi’s Faux Leather Moto Jacket ($98) and Hemant and Nandita Printed Maxi ($308): Navy blue leather is really pretty against a printed maxi dress — perfect for an urban afternoon wedding. Pull your hair back into a pretty braid or bun and add drop earrings to make it totally wedding worthy.
4. Lamarque Lambskin Moto Jacket ($475) and Everly Maxi Dress ($52): If you’re looking for a classic black leather moto jacket, this one from Lamarque is really versatile. An understated blush colored maxi dress is a beautiful canvas for a really stunning necklace.
5. Neiman Marcus Leather Zip Moto Jacket ($325) and Lush Maxi Dress ($48): Hot pink moto jacket?! Why the heck not. It’s really pretty against a simple navy dress — let the jacket speak for itself as an accessory.
Show us your creative dress combos on Instagram with #iamcreative!
(Photo via Nicholas Hunt/Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)