Sometimes you need to indulge a little bit, but making an entire pie or cake for yourself results in either A) Eating way more than one person probably should in a single sitting or B) Throwing away and wasting food. Or maybe, it’s more like you live in a dorm room and all you have is a microwave and a mug. Spoon University is here to help, with recipes that let you make a sweet or savory treat for one using only those m and ms — a microwave and a mug. You’ll never think of nuking the same way again.
1. Rice Krispy Treat: Get your snap, crackle, pop on with a quick 30-second trip in the ‘wave. (Photo via Rebecca Block)
2. Chia and Flaxseed Microwave Oatmeal: If you imagine that microwaving oatmeal would make it a matter of mush — rethink. The creator of this recipe says it actually tastes better than what they’re slinging in the cafeteria. Make it extra healthy by throwing some blueberries and chia seeds on top. Your mom would be SO PROUD. (Photo via Becky Hughes)
3. Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cup: Cookie without an oven? We’re so there. Not to mention, how fun is it to say “cookie in a cup?” (Photo via Alex Weiner)
4. Breakfast Omelette in a Mug: Go ahead, hit the snooze button for your 8am class, baby. We’re making your morning that much faster with a one-step omelette. (Photo via Megan Prendergast)
5. Microwave French Toast: You haven’t lived ’til you’ve have French toast for a snack. From a mug. (Photo via Kelda Baljon)
6. Nutella Mug Cake: We’re just going to go ahead and assume this is going to be your new bae. (Photo via Meredith Marcus)
7. Pumpkin Pie in a Mug: PIEEEE. Forget about reserving the pumpkin variety for fall. You’re buying the puree in a can anyway, right? So go ahead and make it your new springtime study-session snack. (Photo via Sarah Joh)
8. Dark Chocolate and Nutella Microwaveable Mug Cake: Finals are on the horizon, and after you ace all those exams, we highly suggest rewarding yourself with a quick and easy treat. Oh, well looky here, another Nutella mug cake to do just that, this time with a little help from some dark chocolate. (Photo via Parsa Lotfi)
9. Single-Serve Oreo Cheesecake in a Mug: Ain’t nobody got time to make a trip to the Cheesecake Factory on a Friday night. When you’re craving the creamy stuff, take 10 minutes out of your life and make use of those last three Oreos with this recipe. (Photo via Natsuko Mazany)
10. Real Mac and Cheese in a Mug: Forget that mystery powder cheese. This recipe makes use of the real deal, and will keep you from eating the entire contents of the blue box. (Photo via Alex Weiner)
11. Microwave Chocolate Cake With Ganache: Oh, this beautiful little thang? Yup, it came from a mug. (Photo via Kelda Baljon)
Know other microwave hacks? Post your tips in the comments!