16 New IKEA Hacks You Haven’t Seen Yet
Budgeting and holidays are never good together (seriously, can those two just break up already?) So if you’re trying to revamp your interiors without spending too much money this winter, IKEA is definitely the best place to start. Whether you need extra storage or are just looking for some easy DIY gift ideas, you can make inexpensive furniture look impressive with these 16 genius new DIYs. Even the in-laws won’t be able to judge your home decor this year.
1. DIY Midcentury IKEA Desk: You spend a lot of time at that desk, so make it a good one. Pretty = productive, right? Create a retro desk silhouette using less than $50 worth of supplies with this clever hack. (via Dream Green DIY)
5. Rast IKEA Hack: If you don’t really want to commit a whole weekend to painting a big piece of furniture, give your IKEA dresser a simple geometric pattern and leave the rest natural. And add some cool knobs for extra flair. (via Hawthorne and Main)
6. IKEA Step Stool: While the unfinished wood of IKEA furniture gives a nice, Nordic vibe, it isn’t always the easiest to keep clean, especially if kids are using it. Give a step stool a cheery painted makeover and you won’t mind having it front and center in the kitchen. (via Pastels and Macarons)
8. Side Table Hack: IKEA furniture and contact paper just go together like PB&J. Once you find a contact paper pattern you like, just roll it on for an instant makeover. It’s so easy you could change the look out every season. (via Pretty Nice)
11. Leather Dresser Pulls: If you’re not sure that you want to try drilling a hole for a knob (how do you find center anyways??), give these cool leather pulls a try. It’s as easy as hitting a couple of nails. (via Sugar & Cloth)
13. Breakfast Tray: Breakfast in bed, working from home, clever way to get your plants off the floor — the options are endless with this pretty little tray. Make it from scratch or just use the tutorial to add legs to an IKEA tray you already own. (via Passion Shake)
14. Balsa Wood Tea Light Candles: Even IKEA would approve of this hack with the natural wood addition. Pick up any little tea light candles from the big store and give them some height with this easy DIY. (via Curbly)
15. Stilted Floor Mirror: The little floor mirrors at IKEA are usually far too short to actually be helpful so you can either mount it on a door or give it a colorful, leggy hack using two unfinished handrails. (via Francois et Moi)
What new IKEA hacks have you been trying? We’d love to hear about your projects in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)