Spring, it’s been fun, but there’s something about summer we just can’t stay away from. It’s a new month, and with this seasonal shift comes a change in the weekend project lineup. Swap out the sweater makeover for a donut-inspired blouse. Jazz up a beach umbrella with a fringe accent and take a batch of homemade pop rock candies or boozy poptails with you to the next poolside party. Whether you’re looking for a grown-up way to recreate your childhood favorite desserts or trying to nail down a great gift for Father’s Day , start prepping for the best summer ever with these 12 weekend craft projects.
1. DIY Retro Beach Umbrella : Fringe is the new tassel, and it’s the perfect way to bring on the retro vibes in your backyard. Spruce up last year’s beach umbrella with nothing more than a strip of fringe and a glue gun. Here’s a project you can finish in less time than it takes to mix up a wine slushie . (via Sugar & Cloth )
2. DIY Pop Rocks : It’s time to bring those favorite childhood candies back with a *pop* and a *bang.* Except now you can make popping candy in any flavor and color you want. Use your sparkly rock candy to top anything and everything from ice cream to s’mores this summer. (via Aww, Sam )
3. DIY Mini Succulent Garden : Bet you didn’t know cinder blocks could look so cute. Start by making your own mini concrete cinder blocks and then paint them hot shades of neon for the perfect deck accessory. Use faux succulents for a garden that will never die on you. (via A Kailo Chic Life )
4. DIY Beard Balm : Show the bearded guys in your life some love (lookin’ at you, Dad) with this all-natural beard balm. Use essential oil to craft the perfect scent and coconut oil to make their prized facial hair really shine. (via Brit + Co )
5. DIY Wool Woven Basket : You probably didn’t know you needed a cuddly storage basket until just now. Grab your leftover wool roving from your last weaving project and decorate a copper wire basket. Whether you’re looking for a place to store your throw blankets or your craft supplies, this chic storage piece doesn’t mind being out in the open. (via Fall for DIY )
6. DIY Marble Clock : Use air-dry clay to make a mini clock that stands on its own on your desk or mantel. The light pink marbling on this clay clock makes it almost look like a full moon, and paired with the gold hands, it’s a win-win for sure. (via The Lovely Drawer )
8. DIY Beer-Tasting Tray : If you’re starting to brainstorm gifts for Dad, let your mind rest easy. This beer-tasting tray will make his weekend totally awesome. Give Dad the gift of his favorite beverage with this handmade tray and a collection of his favorite beverages to accompany it. (via Brit + Co )
9. DIY Confetti Chair : Give that plain white desk chair a confetti-tastic makeover. This DIY calls for vinyl stickers, so it’s easy to remove the confetti just in case you decide you want to try a new look later on. (via A Kailo Chic Life )
1o. DIY Ombre Necklace : If summer vibes have you reaching for the embroidery thread (friendship bracelet , anyone?), make this necklace the first thing on your to-make list. Gold bars make it super stylish, and you can’t go wrong with ombre and a tassel. (via Enthralling Gumption )
11. DIY Painted Donut Collar : The only thing better than eating donuts is wearing them, amirite? If you’re looking for a summery way to update a collared shirt, try making this tasty treat. Donuts not your thing? Turn your collar into a pizza or a watermelon! (via Studio DIY )
12. DIY Boozy Freeze Pops : Boozy popsicles are “the thing” this summer (ahem, have you seen these sangria pops ?), and it’s awesome seeing our favorite childhood snacks turn into more mature treats. Recreate the classic freeze pop with coconut milk, fruit juice and plenty of alcohol. (via Sugar & Cloth )
What are you most excited to make this weekend? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!