15 Ways to Add Honey to Your Beauty Routine
Who doesn’t love honey? Maybe the most multi-talented edible we’ve come across, this sweetness can be put to use in more ways than we ever (ever) thought possible. It’s good for everything from cocktails to pumpkin seeds, comes in handy when you’ve got a cold and has been known to pair well with hemp, chapped lips and chia seeds. This all just leaves us with one question: Is there anything honey can’t do? We think not. And to prove it, here are 15 more ways to include honey in your day to day — this time in the form of DIY beauty treatments.
1. Lip Scrub: The combination of coconut oil and honey in this lip scrub packs a moisturizing punch while the sugar exfoliates and the light peppermint scent leaves you feeling totally refreshed. (via Sarah Di Grazia)
2. Coffee Honey Sugar Scrub: The fact that this scrub uses up leftover coffee grounds is the icing on its already wonderful cake. That is aside from the exfoliating, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. (via Delightfully Tacky)
3. Cinnamon and Honey Blackhead Treatment: This mask may look a little muddy, but it actually combines two ingredients – cinnamon and honey – to create a blackhead-battling addition to skincare with healing and antibacterial properties. (via Natural Beauty Island)
4. Brightening and Tightening Face Mask: A mask made from ingredients that are easy to find in the kitchen, this skin brightener relies on honey’s reputation as a healer to not only tighten and clear breakouts but also fade scars. Keep in mind that lemon can sting sensitive skin, so do a patch test before you apply this treatment to your whole face. (via The Kitchen McCabe)
5. Avocado Honey Mask: We’re not generally one to toot our own horn, but this honey and avocado mask is simple and awesome. Admittedly, it’s a bit messy, but it’s worth every bit of green that winds up on your countertop. (via Brit + Co)
7. Oatmeal Honey Face Scrub: This scrub is perfect for those days when you feel like your everyday cleanser isn’t quite getting the job done. It’s particularly useful in dry winter months and for irritated skin. (via Dabbles and Babbles)
8. Honey Shampoo: Rumor has it that a shampoo made from honey and water will cleanse your hair without stripping it of its natural oils, reducing frizz and dandruff and leaving hair soft, silky and shiny. Sounds like a perfect hair world to us. (via Petite Kitchen)
9. Honey Hair Mask: If you now have plans to whip up a honey shampoo, this hair mask will be right up your alley. Relatively inexpensive, it makes for a great gift and a moisturizing addition to your beauty routine. (via Mad in Crafts)
11. Honey Coconut Body Butter: A light and creamy body butter, this concoction actually uses another part of the honey-making process, beeswax, to keep it firm and play up the sweet honeyed scent. (via Humblebee + Me)
12. Honey and Cinnamon Hair Treatment: Cinnamon, which is useful in repairing skin damage, is also packed with hair-nourishing properties. Because this spice helps increase blood circulation, it can potentially help your hair grow faster, making it the perfect addition to a hair-strengthening honey mask. (via Hey It’s Lulu)
13. Homemade Body Butter: One last honey butter for the road… incorporating coconut oil, honey and citrus, this homemade body butter is not only an all-natural skincare option, it’s also perfect for dry spots and shaving. We hear it doubles as a flavorful sweetener for tea, too. (via She Wears Many Hats)
14. Honey Foot Soak: Now that summer is officially drawing to a close, it’s time to take inventory of some very important details — like the havoc wreaked on your feet by days at the pool, hiking trips and general flip flop wearing. Once you’ve taken said inventory, we’re pretty sure you’ll want to try out this doubly soothing and exfoliating soak ASAP. (via Design Sponge)
15. Honey Coconut Body Wrap: Speaking of skin soothing luxuries, this body wrap is truly divine. Although, we’re not entirely sure if we want to let it cozy up to our skin or stick a spoon in it. (via Beauty Bets)
Which of these all-natural DIY beauty treatments do you think you’ll be trying? Let us know in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)