Unlike the other galettes we know and love, there’s no rolling and crimping to be found here. Instead, this variety gets its crust courtesy of layer upon layer of sliced potatoes. Kind of like giant, baked latkes, these potato cakes are, without question, a stunning way to serve up spuds. Enjoy these 12 distinct recipes that are sure to put your mandoline to good use!
1. Potato Galette With Smoked Salmon: This pretty galette works beautifully as a brunch or New Year’s Eve party centerpiece. P.S. It pairs well with bubbly to boot! (via Martha Stewart)
2. Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Potato Galette: Tangy goat cheese and sweet, caramelized onions work well together layered between thinly-sliced potatoes. (via Seasons and Suppers)
3. Rosemary Yam or Sweet Potato Galette (Paleo): Only six ingredients are needed to create this spectacular side! Wanna make it vegan? Simply swap coconut oil in for the butter. (via Gourmande in the Kitchen)
4. Potato Galette: You can trust that this galette from America’s Test Kitchen will come out perfectly every time. (via America’s Test Kitchen)
5. Upside Down Onion and Potato Tart: Turn out this tart to reveal rings of sweet onions that’ll practically melt in your mouth. (via Whisk Affair)
6. Duck Fat Potato Galette With Caraway and Sweet Onions: Don’t have duck fat on hand? No biggie. Go ahead and swap in leftover bacon grease. Either way you go, your guests will be clamoring for more! (via Bon Appétit)
7. Candied Sweet Potatoes: We’re in love with this layered twist on the usual, marshmallow-topped sweet potato casserole. (via Emeril Lagasse)
8. Mâche Salad With Potato Galettes and Scallops (Gluten-free): With protein, a starch and veggies all present, this salad is definitely a meal in its own right. (via La Tartine Gourmande)
9. Mini Herbed Pommes Anna: Who could resist these petite cakes?! (via Bon Appétit)
10. Braised Short Rib, Stout and Potato Potpies: We’d love to crack through the potato galette crust to get to the indulgent beef-and-beer filling underneath. (via Martha Stewart)
11. Leek and Potato Galette: A garnish of punchy leaves of watercress is a delightful flavor contrast to the sweet leeks laced throughout this springtime galette. (via UEA Vegbox Society Recipes)
12. Root Galette: Potatoes, parsnips, carrots and beets come together to create this magnificent, colorful cake. (via Café Patita)
When it comes to galettes, are you team pâte brisée or do you prefer these layered potato varieties? Let us know in the comments below!