Whether you want to be lazy or just want something quirky to add to your Instagram feed, microwavable mug recipes will help you accomplish both those goals. Invented after World War II, microwaves have done society the great pleasure of reheating food by the press of a button. They’re a terribly underrated kitchen tool, because, guess what? You can also use them to make food from scratch.
The following 14 savory recipes are great for those who want something fresh and hot at work. Just prep the materials beforehand and grab a couple of minutes by the microwave. Your co-workers will likely be jealous.
1. Risotto Cups: These 10-minute risotto cup recipes simplify what it means to eat Italian. Heat up the risotto rice with vegetable broth, then garnish with toppings like bacon, mushrooms and kale. It’s instant Italian in a cup, and hey — talk about great portion control! (via Brit + Co)
2. Mac and Cheese: Just add cooked pasta, milk and cheese. You can even opt to class things up with a smudge of truffle oil and a pinch of bacon. Easy peasy and, of course — cheesy. (via The View from Great Island)
3. Omelet: A microwavable egg cup is a good way to kick off your morning. You just need egg and water for the base. The rest is just toppings. Throw in a handful of cheese on the top for good measure. The best part: no flipping is involved. Win. (via Cookin’ Canuck)
4. Egg Fried Rice: This eggy Chinese dish is simply irresistible. No frying has to be done, making it a great option when you’re just not feeling like calling up your regular takeout joint. For the rice, be sure to cover the top with cling wrap. Throw in vegetables for texture… and don’t forget the soy sauce as seasoning! (via Healthy Nibbles and Bits)
5. Beef and Egg Breakfast Mug: It doesn’t get much heartier than this. This beef and egg recipe is a whopper, incorporating chunks of lean ground beef seasoned with sage, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper. Sprinkle on some cheese for that signature glisten. (via Taking on Magazines)
6. Quiche: The beauty of breakfast mugs is how quick they are to cobble together. This lovely quiche recipe only tastes a few minutes of your morning, and all you need is milk, egg, tomatoes, bread, cheese and various herbs to spice it up. (via Full Thyme Student)
7. Spaghetti-Ohs: Have a pasta craving but don’t have a stove? Worry not, because all you need to do to make Spaghetti-Ohs is water and pasta sauce. Portion out the leftover pasta sauce into ice cube trays, freeze them and pop one in a mug with more spaghetti when you’re hungry. (via Ella Claire)
8. Spinach Ricotta Lasagna: “The key to making lasagna in a mug is fresh lasagna sheets,” Lisa Lin of Healthy Nibbles and Bits writes. The result: a glorious mini-lasagna, worthy of a rockstar Instagram feed. This recipe is also vegetarian. (via Healthy Nibbles and Bits)
9. Italian Meatball Stew: Juicy mushrooms and ready-made meatballs make this Italian dish a winner. It’s flavored with a pinch of beef broth. The best part: It only takes four minutes to make! (via From Val’s Kitchen)
10. Chilaquiles: Miniaturize this traditional Mexican dish by putting all the ingredients in a mug and microwaving it. Garnish with sour cream and a bit of queso fresco. Each serving is only a reasonable 180 calories. (via St. Louis Today)
11. Egg and Toast: Poach an egg in your microwave with this clever recipe. Supplement with buttered toast. You can also turn this into a light lunch by adding spinach and mushrooms. (via Let’s Get Cooking at Home)
12. Cheese and Broccoli Egg Whites Mug: Say good morning with a protein-packed scrambled egg white mug. Just add broccoli and chopped ham, press a button and let the machine do all the work! (via All Whites)
13. Cheese and Herb Muffin: This recipe is proof you don’t need an oven to bake. Whip up the batter and cook it for four minutes on full power until raised and firm to the touch. Impress all your friends while you’re at it. (via Let’s Get Cooking at Home)