10 Self-Care Ideas to Keep Your Spirits Up into Fall
After a summer full of vacations, three-day holiday weekends and shortened office hours, heading into autumn can be a pretty big (read: painful) adjustment. As the days get shorter and your pile of work emails gets larger, you’re going to need to get creative about how and when you take some “me” time — especially if you’re using the season change to also make a successful career change or pick up some freelance side gigs. To keep yourself from getting down during these shorter days, here’s a list of 10 seasonal self-care ideas that will get you through fall without falling off track. Oh, but (totally just to ease the transition) feel free to keep wearing your summer clothes under your flannel.
1. Go for a walk and find a pile of leaves to jump in. Who says you can’t go out and play just because you’re an adult? Let yourself feel like a kid again — and actually, it’ll feel even better than that, because for you, fall doesn’t mean going back to school.
2. Make a meal out of fall vegetables. You’re always meaning to get more veggies into your diet, and fall is a perfect time. Squash (acorn and butternut), cauliflower, sweet potatoes, cabbage and Brussels sprouts are all at their best during fall. Even if you just make pumpkin muffins, we’ll count it.
3. Buy your fave Halloween candy. Okay, yes, we were just talking about vegetables. But this is the only time of year for candy corn and Reese’s pumpkins. You can’t pass that up! Buy your absolute favorite Halloween candy and really savor it, or stock up for the next few months. Everyone needs an emergency candy stash.
4. Treat yourself to some new clothes. One of the best things about fall is that it’s finally sweater season. If yours are looking more pill-y than cozy, treat yo’self to a few new autumn staples.
5. Take a weekend trip. To us, fall always seems like the perfect time to book a B and B. But maybe that’s just because we’re obsessed with Gilmore Girls, and Stars Hollow is pretty much permanently stuck in fall. Speaking of which…
6. Binge-watch a fall show. The Gilmore Girls Netflix original series comes out Thanksgiving weekend. (OMG OMG OMG.) Grab an extra slice of pie and catch up with your favorite TV BFFs.
7. Re-read your favorite book. Cozy up with some tea and fuzzy socks and break open your comfort read. We know you have that well-worn copy of your (ahem) childhood fave Harry Potter next to your bed already.
8. Sleep for seven to nine hours. Take advantage of that extra hour from the daylight savings time switch and catch up on your sleep. Make your bed with some clean sheets, take a nice hot shower, then slip into bed. Heaven.
9. Carve a pumpkin or decorate some gourds. Working with your hands and getting creative are two great ways to stimulate your mind, de-stress and appreciate how crafty you are. Combine them in true fall fashion and invite one or two friends over for a festive DIY afternoon.
10. Jump into your favorite YouTube or indoor workout class. You probably cut back on your gym visits and spin classes during the summer months in favor of working out in the beautiful sunny weather (plus your budget loved it), but rain, wind and chillier weather is back. Resist the temptation to go into full couch potato mode and treat yourself to your favorite studio class. If you don’t want to spend the money, light a candle, turn off your phone and get down with your favorite YouTube yoga or pilates class for 30 minutes.
What are some ways you plan to unwind and take time for yourself this season? Tweet us your tips @BritandCo.
(Photos via Getty)