20 Cakes That Will Turn Your Frown Upside Down
Hope you’re ready to turn things upside down, ’cause these 20 tasty treats do just that. Whether you’re team cake or team pie, we have you covered with this selection of goodies. Featuring both upside down and vertical layer cakes, as well as tarte tatins (both savory and sweet), there’s a little something here for everyone. Get ready to have your mind blown and taste buds wanting more.
1. Vertical Layer Cake: There’s more than one way to make a sky-high layer cake, and we’re loving this whimsical new direction. The combo of lemon-scented cake and raspberry buttercream will certainly wow as well. (via Brit + Co)
4. Upside Down Meyer Lemon Cornmeal Cake: Adding crumbly cornmeal to the batter yields a sturdy cake that’s delightfully moist. The sunny color is a brilliant accompaniment to the fragrant Meyer lemon slices baked right in. (via Port and Fin)
5. Tomato Tatin With Whipped Goat Cheese: Loaded with colorful cherry tomatoes and slivers of garlic and red onion, this tatin will turn heads as you bring it to the table. A dollop of fluffy, tangy goat cheese served over every slice is the perfect finishing touch. (via Brooklyn – Portland)
6. Upside Down Apple Cake With Calvados and Mascarpone: We love that this upside down cake takes things to the next level by spreading apple-brandy-enhanced mascarpone between the layers. (via Eschhörnchen)
8. Blood Orange Upside Down Cake: Sponge cakes can be kinda dry and flavorless if you’re not careful, but you don’t have to worry about this one. Between the blood orange slices baked inside and a double citrus syrup poured over top, it’s delightfully zingy and moist. (via Pastry Workshop)
11. Honey Rosemary Upside Down Fig Cake: Flecks of rosemary stud this tender, crumbly cake. The subtle woody flavor of the herb pairs beautifully with the pop of sweet, seedy figs. (via Delicious Everyday)
12. Nutella Banana Tarte Tatin: Our forks are sooo ready to dig into these glistening, Nutella-glazed noms. The final sprinkle of crunchy cinnamon-sugar-roasted pumpkin seeds and hazelnuts is perfection. (via Half Baked Harvest)
17. Cranberry Upside Down Cake: Who says cranberries should stick to just Thanksgiving? Not us. Here they provide a gorgeous magenta-hued topping that’s just as tantalizing for your taste buds. (via Mis en Place)
20. Raspberry Lemon Meringue Trifle: Trifles are stunning enough assembled horizontally, but this vertical version takes things in a whole ‘nother direction. It might be hard to wrap your head around how it comes together, but trust it’s much easier than it appears at first glance. (via Sugar Hero)
Which of these topsy turvy treats is calling your name? Share your picks and pie vs cake preferences with us below!