12 Ways to Live The Green Life Like Shailene Woodley
Sure, this routine sounds like the schedule of the most mind-body balanced of yogis: Foraging the freshest fruit to build your breakfast parfait, shaking in dry shampoo for maybe like, the fifth day in a row and drinking your before-bed tea with a side of nightly oms. But that’s all actually part of a day in the life of actress Shailene Woodley. The Fault In Our Stars leading lady hasn’t been shy about sharing her obsession with all-things all-natural, and while some may WTF her more offbeat prescriptions (well get to brushing your teeth with oil and clay later), Shai’s healthful practices and love of DIY everything might just spark the lifestyle reboot you’ve been craving. Dare to give it go? Here’s 12 ways to tune into Shailene’s funky + free-spirited way of life.
1. Step Outside to Bust Stress: Walking into work with an inbox bursting with emails shouldn’t mean your day is dedicated to sitting until you get it down to zero. Stepping away from the stress can reset the way you approach the rest of your day and turn that :( into a :) at the end of your Gchats, especially if you take your break OOO. “I go outside whether I’m in the city or backwoods of any state. I connect with the ground, the trees, just breathing fresh air while I go for a walk and I find myself living in my heart instead of my head,” Shailene told WebMD. So do take time to stop, stroll and smell the corner Starbucks. (via WebMD)
2. Visit Your Local Farmers Market: Shailene’s a farm-to-table kind of gal and sticks to that food philosophy no matter where she is (Shai even packs her own meals while she’s on set!). If she’s not actually picking berries for her breakfast parfait (girl’s a for-real forager), Shai shops for food at local farmers markets, knows which eggs, sweet potatoes and carrots came from which farms and eats the freshest finds of the season. (via WebMD)
3. DIY Your Beauty Products: Shailene doesn’t just whip up a mean beet salad with her market finds, she can make a red carpet-worthy lip stain with the natural dye (yep, that’s the beauty hack in action above at the Golden Globes!). When she’s not DIY-ing her own makeup, Shai uses only all-natural products in her beauty routine, like Sedona Seduction Truffle Stix ($11) that’s an edible lip balm, body balm and sunscreen all in one! (via Vulture)
4. LOL All the Time: If those way cute hamster videos make you LOL, then keep ’em cued up — according to Shailene, laughter is the secret to good skin. She told People: “I can tell you, all of my friends in their mid-thirties and early forties laugh a lot and have no wrinkles… Everybody has this big thing about chemicals and facials but it is just laughter.” Noted: Spa time is from now on reserved for massages + mani/pedis only — we’ll use that saved cash to go see the newest RomCom. (via People)
5. Create Mindful AM + PM Rituals: Rolling out of your bed and into your day (and vice versa) might seem like a lazy girl way to save time, but Shailene makes the most of her AMs and PMs by performing mindful rituals that set the tone for the rest of the day or help her unwind at night. Shai shouts and sings in the morning to pump her up, then kicks off bedtime with yoga, followed by tea + opening a good book (but not on a Kindle). (via Interview + The Cut)
6. …And That Involves Alternate Ways of Brushing Your Teeth: And you thought a toothbrush would always be a staple of your before-and-after bed rituals, huh? Shailene tossed the tube long ago for clay (which she also eats. Really!) or even sesame oil to keep her whites pearly. “The plaque on your teeth is not water soluble, it’s fat-soluble. So the lipids have to dissolve in fats, which is why oil works in your mouth,” Shailene told Into The Gloss. Remember to reserve a little extra oil for after you finish eating your Sesame Chicken for dinner. (via Vulture + Into the Gloss)
7. Get Down With Sauerkraut: Shailene told WebMD that she eats or drinks one fermented item with every meal in order to promote digestion. That may sound scary until you remember that the process produces some extremely tasty sides. Sauerkraut with sausage, kimchi with rice or a glass of kombucha with anything are all winning meal combos. (via WebMD)
8. Go With Your Flow: Like a living, breathing health tracker, Shai is way in tune with her body, including her monthly cycle. Whether or not you see your period as a “beautiful thing” month in, month out, keeping track of your cycles as often as you keep tabs on your pal’s FB status might help you appreciate your bod a whole lot more. (via WebMD)
9. Be Prepared to Answer “I Got It at Bufflo Exchange”: Shailene is famous for saying she can fit everything she owns in one suitcase, which may seem insane for anyone with a good-sized closet and a heel obsession. But Shai can make her off-duty outfits as awesome as anyone with her affinity for rocking thrifted clothes. Next time around, we’ll take the in-store credit from Buffalo Exchange. (via Coco Eco)
10. Add Dry Shampoo to Your Beauty Routine: Shailene is as low-maintenance about her hair as anyone can get. Her short crop, thick strands and versatile ‘do make it easy for the star to go au naturel in the hair department, and not just by avoiding products like hairspray, but by skipping shampooing for weeks at a time! To keep the oil at bay, use dry shampoo — it’ll take your unwashed locks much farther than you’d ever think! (via Into the Gloss)
11. Avoid Tan Lines at ALL Costs: Summer’s almost over, but there’s still time to get in on Shailene’s fun-in-the-sun health secret: tanning in the buff. Seriously, Shai says that adding vitamin D to your v can help with more than avoiding tan lines, it can help prevent yeast infections + other genital issues. “If you’re feeling depleted, go in the sun for an hour and see how much energy you get. Or, if you live in a place that has heavy winters, when the sun finally comes out, spread your legs and get some sunshine,” Shai told Into the Gloss. Girls, who’s with her? (via Into the Gloss)
12. Support Your Local Makers!: “I live a very frugal life and spend my money on good food and products,” Shailene told WebMD, and we’re all for spending where it counts, on hand-crafted goods that will last a lifetime and products made with lots of TLC. Next time you’re due for an item update, step out of the chain store and support your local makers! (via WebMD)
What parts of Shailene’s all-natural lifestyle inspired you? Do you follow in Shai’s footsteps when it comes to mindful living? Tell us in the comments below.