3 Cold-Brew Cocktails That Will Give You a Buzz
These three caffeinated cocktails feature cold brew, a trendy chilled coffee that tends to be higher in the good stuff (i.e., caffeine) than your standard cup o’ joe. Whether you’re brunching for Sunday Funday or just looking to keep your eyes open longer in the evening, cold-brew cocktails will give you two types of buzzes to fuel you.
As for what pairs well with your java, look to acidic combos. “Blackberry, Campari, white rum, coffee, and club soda go super well together, as well as the variations on coffee, tonic, and citrus with a softer gin,” says Stephen Robertson of Blanchard’s Coffee Roasting Co. “You can also let coffee function almost as a bitter or a barrel age proxy to go well with whiskeys or dark rum.”
La Colombe X Grey goose Cold Brew martini
Recipe Notes: We like La Colombe, because its cold brews are brewed with cold water under pressure just like espresso, which gives the beverages a bold, sweet, and smooth taste. Josey Markiewicz, La Colombe’s National Manager of Training & Quality says, “Most great cocktails are a balance of sours and sugars, right? Coffee is a great ‘bottom note’ and can really lay down a delicious foundation for other flavors to thrive on.”
- 2 ounces La Colombe Pure Black Concentrate (1:2 dilution)
- 2 ounces Grey Goose Vodka
- 2 ounces Mr. Black Cold Brew Liqueur
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- pinch of salt
- coffee beans, to garnish
- Shake all ingredients together in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Strain frothy mixture into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with coffee beans.
nespresso White Russian
Recipe Notes: If you watched The Big Lebowski recently and have found yourself on a White Russian kick, then you’re going to love this White Russian created by Kate from the Wood and Spoon for Nespresso. You can easily make this drink keto by replacing the sugar cane syrup with NuNaturals Simple Syrup, a sugar-free, stevia-based syrup.
- ~1 1/3 ounces Nespresso coffee (like Limited Edition Ispirazione Shakerato espresso)
- 1 ounce of vodka
- 1 teaspoon of sugar cane syrup
- 1 ounce of heavy cream
- In a cocktail glass, brew Nespresso capsule over ice (remember to recycle the capsule after use!).
- Add vodka and sugar cane syrup.
- Pour in heavy cream while stirring.
Convergent Opera Cake
Recipe Note: Convergent is a craft brew, made with hand-roasted, responsibly sourced artisanal beans. Using nitro cold brew (i.e., coffee charged with nitrogen) gives the drink a frothy, thick texture, almost like Guinness beer. It also softens any of the coffee’s harsh, acidic edges.
- 1 ounce Convergent Nitro Cold Brew House Coffee
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce Torres Orange Liqueur
- crushed ice
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 large ice cube
- grated chocolate, to garnish
- orange twist, to garnish ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Combine coffee, rum, and liqueurs in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Foam egg white in a separate shaker.
- Strain the cocktail shaker into a rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Layer egg white foam over the top.
- Microplane chocolate over the top, and garnish with orange zest.
Ready for more cocktail recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Recipe and photos via La Colombe and Grey Goose, Kate of The Wood and Spoon for Nespresso, and Convergent Coffee)