For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
Let’s be honest — 2016 was a notoriously crappy year. But instead of dwelling on the past, we’ve decided to stay positive and dream up some new resolutions for 2017 to keep us healthy and happy (heck, we’ve even designed the cutest resolution tree to keep us motivated!). Along with getting our butts to the weight room and investing smarter, we’ve decided to make self-care a priority in our busy-gal lives. Here are nine easy self-care routines we’re adding to our Google Cal to stay positive and balanced in the new year.
1. Stop splurging on takeout and try meal prepping. Being organized enough to plan out an entire week of meals can seem like a pipe dream for us procrastinators. But a few quick recipes, good containers and some Instagram inspo is all you need to slay your healthy meal game in 2017.
2. Create your own personal safe space. Whether you DIY a blanket fort or create your very own Instagram-worthy book nook (or both!), having a space where you feel completely comfortable is important to help you stay on track with your self-care goals.
3. Designate some tech-free time every damn day. We’ll be the first ones to admit we usually spend our precious free time scrolling Instagram or stalking our exes on FB (we mean… checking FB). But for 10 minutes a day, try taking a break from your tech. Go for a walk, focus on the dishes that’ve been piling up or even start a meditation practice. Whatever you do, don’t tweet about it!
4. Commit to a bedtime. You don’t have to be in grade school to have a bedtime. Committing to going to bed at a certain time every day will help your body recharge properly and give you the rest you need to conquer the day ahead.
5. Do light exercise (and no, it doesn’t have to be yoga). While yoga is the quintessential self-care exercise fad, ANY form of light exercise will boost your endorphins and help you shake off a crummy day. Aim to move your body for 10 minutes a day, from playing with your toddler to dancing to Sia.
6. Keep a gratitude journal. Listing things that you’re grateful for is a great way of keeping yourself positive and grounded. You can buy some pretty cool journals online (like this Kikki K Gratitude Journal [$20], pictured above) or you can DIY one for cheap. Heck, there’s even tons of smartphone apps that’ll help you track your daily gratitude too, like Gratitude Journal ($5) and Thankful For (free).
7. Have a weekly pamper night that you CAN’T reschedule. We all say we’re going to have a weekly me-time sesh, but actually squeezing in time for a date with ourselves is quite difficult. We suggest having a weekly pamper session (candles, face masks and a good read are musts!) and treating it like any other appointment. Put it on the calendar, and don’t cancel on yourself!
8. Schedule time for things YOU love to do. Whether it’s practicing the trombone, playing with planner stickers or hiking a local trail, make room in your weekly schedule for things that YOU like to do. Even if it’s something your BF and BFF don’t enjoy, doing something you love solo will keep you refreshed and energized. Don’t compromise, lady!
9. Hang out with your bestie one-on-one. Hosting a weekly or bi-weekly tea date with your besties is a great way to catch up and unwind. We’re not talking about doing a crazy activity… just sit down, munch a cheeky scone and connect with your BFF without emoji.
How are you making time for self-care in 2017? Tweet us your tips by mentioning @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Brit + Co)