20 Creative DIY Projects That Only Require a Sharpie
Sharpie markers are one of the most versatile DIY tools you can get your hands on. They are easy to use, fairly inexpensive and are available in a huge range of colors from neon to metallics. Plus, they’re great for any surface and are permanent on even the most hard-to-mark surfaces. Whether you want some personalized throw pillows, a huge piece of wall art or a wardrobe update, Sharpies are the only tool you need. Check out these 20 awesome DIY projects that you’ll never be able to believe were made with a simple marker.
4. Sharpie Garden: Did you pick up some rocks on your summer beach adventures? This is a fun craft that you can do with the kids. Just give ’em the green paint and you can add the delicate white spikes and dots with an oil-based white Sharpie. (via Wonderful DIY)
5. Sharpie Mug: If you have some plain mugs sitting around the house or office, add some personal touches with a Sharpie. Wouldn’t a pair of these be a cute bridesmaids present with each person’s specific drink order on the side? (via A Beautiful Mess)
8. Sharpie Gift Wrapping: Grab a couple desk accessories for this cute wrapping idea. Just draw flowers or doodles on some colorful Post-its and use them to decorate a plain brown paper gift. (via Vixy Blu)
9. Dresser Knobs: Get this unique look by coloring your porcelain knobs with Sharpie markers, let them sit overnight and then bake in the oven. These will bring a luxe look to your bedside table or dresser. (via Teal and Lime)
10. Gold Jewelry Stands: If your jewelry is looking a little sad and neglected in a plain white dish, grab a magical golden Sharpie and draw some criss crosses. You probably don’t want to put food right on the paint, but for display and parties, these are the perfect accessory. (via The Sweetest Digs)
11. Watercolor Pillows: Who knew rubbing alcohol and Sharpies could make such a vibrant watercolor effect? If you don’t have much faith in your ability to draw a recognizable design, just scribble away with bright Sharpies and let the colors run free. (via HGTV)
12. Watercolor Coasters: Add some serious color to your coffee table with these awesome watercolored coasters. After you got a design you like, spray them with a fixative to make sure your damp drinks don’t ruin the artwork. (via Sharpie)
14. Gold Rimmed Bowls: Put those gold metallics to use on the edge of pretty patterned bowls. Once baked, these bowls are dishwasher-safe, so you can use them as dipping bowls, for snacks or just decoration. (via The Lovely Drawer)
15. Ikat Easter Eggs: Ikat is the trendiest pattern going around home decor right now, so skip the usual tie dye and make these stunningly mature Easter eggs for year-round decor. (via The Pink Doormat)
16. Black and Gold Map: Print off a black world map and then practice your calligraphy with a gold or silver Sharpie to label all the continents or the places you’ve been. Frame it for a stylish piece of wall art that celebrates your wanderlust. (via Everyday Reading)
18. Big Wall Art: Trying to figure out a cheap way to fill up a big empty wall? Grab a giant piece of wood and a Sharpie and have at it. The joy of abstract art is that you can make any sort of design and play it off as modern art. (via Vintage Revivals)
What cool things have you made with Sharpies? Share your crafty ideas in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)