13 Incredible Edible Dessert Toppers
We’re crazy for cake toppers, but you know what’s even better than a blinged out birthday message or a trendy bunting stretched across your favorite dessert? Making that topper something we can eat! Edible dessert toppings are nothing new. We know fondant works dessert magic but there are so many other ways to shout a celebratory statement or fit a sweet treat into your theme. These methods go far beyond the traditional bakery toppers so you can put your DIY twist on any dessert and earn major brownie points with your next dinner party guests.
1. Macarons + Edible Ink: When you have something you want to say atop a celebratory cake, what better way to say it than with edible ink? Whip up some homemade macarons (or get them from your local bakery, we promise we won’t tell) and sketch your message on them for a sweet statement. (via Cupcakes and Cutlery)
2. Calligraphy Pie Crust: Put your handwriting skills to the test and scrawl a message on your pie crust to match any holiday or occasion. These handy tips will have you writing dreamy messages in all your desserts. (via Style Me Pretty)
5. Typography Cupcakes: We love typography, and it’s no secret that we’re obsessed with cupcakes, so forming royal icing into typography cupcake decorations is simply magical. Spell anything you want with these unbelievably tasty cupcake toppers. (via Love Driven Design)
6. Cookie Bunting: This topper combines two of our favorite things: bunting and cookies. These tiny bunting flags even get a delicate layer of frosting to make them extra delectable! (via Hank and Hunt)
7. Stenciled Sparkle Cakes: No words get us more excited than “edible glitter.” Carefully stencil the sparkles in your favorite geometric pattern and you have the to-die-for dessert of your dreams. (via Martha Stewart)
8. Passionfruit Marshmallows: Homemade marshmallows are perhaps the most impressive dessert you can make. Top your favorite cupcakes (or even brownies!) with these sweet mallows carved into a trendy shape and you have a dessert that will knock socks off. (via Raspberri Cupcakes)
9. Sprinkle Cake Topper: Almond bark and sprinkles come together to create this smart topper that can be shaped into any design you can imagine. From letters and numbers to shapes or funky patterns, say it in sprinkles! (via Kojo Designs)
10. Cereal Heart Toppers: We haven’t had this much fun with pipe cleaners since elementary school! Thread your favorite loop cereal along the pipe cleaners and shape for a tasty crunch that pairs perfectly with moist cake. (via Momtastic)
11. Marshmallow Petit Fours: Would you believe Airheads make these delicate and petit toppers? Mini alphabet cookie cutters and a pizza slicer come together to design gorgeous toppers for these fabulous bite-size desserts. (via Say Yes)
12. Rainbow Rock Candy: You might have missed the boat to use this for your St. Paddy’s Day celebration, but just swap out the colors and you’ve got the easiest, most eye-catching cake topper in all the land. (via Studio DIY)
What’s your favorite way to top a celebratory dessert? Let us know about it in the comments below!