Finding a fresh fall lip color is a lot like finding your soul mate on Tinder: You need to try many a swipe before you land that perfect match. Trying new lipsticks can be a tedious task, but there’s a surefire way to take the agony out of it — let your skin tone be your guide. Yup, those undertones in your skin (cool, warm or neutral) are what make a color look flattering or fall flat. To figure out what your tone is, think of the colors you look best in. Do you shine in silvers, grays, blues and whites? You’re a cool tone. Do you light up in golds, yellows, oranges and reds? Then you’ve got a warm undertone. Can you wear almost every color in the rainbow and still look bright? You’re a neutral. Scroll down to find a new shade stat — and cue your swipes to the right.
1. bareMinerals Gen Nude Radiant Lipstick in Crave ($20): When you’re a cool tone, pinks are your besties due to their blue undertones. This one, a cross between a light mauve and soft pink, is a go-to hue that fits in at the office and after-hours, with medium coverage and a bit of shine.
2. Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet Intense Long-Wear Lip Colour in Rouge Vie ($37): Lips were intense on fall runways, and a matte, velvety smooth color like this one is perfect for nailing the trend. This deep wine with a blue cast gives off a fall vibe and complements a fairer complexion. Bonus: The non-drying formula is made to last for hours.
3. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Fig ($21): Red wine hues accent a paler complexion without overpowering; they aren’t as bright as reds and have a tinge of grape tones running through them. This one packs a punch without being too over the top, and is a beautiful accent to the pretty velvet dresses and tops you’re seeing everywhere this fall.
4. Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in Melon D’Or ($37): The best way to complement a golden tone is a with a coral that brings out its warmth. This light yellowish orange goes easily with fall’s sparkly makeup and looks dynamite with a nude palette.
5. Covergirl Katy Kat Matte Lipstick in Sphynx ($7): Yes, Katy Perry did a makeup line. Yes, it’s gorge, and you’ll want to get your hands on it fast. This demi-matte formula, enriched with shea butter, stays put. The brown tones in this shade gives your warm complexion a boost.
6. Maybelline Color Sensational The Loaded Bolds Lipstick in Dynamite Red ($8): Red is so right on you — especially an orange-y one. A single stroke of this creamy matte shade will definitely get you noticed.
7. Urban Decay Vice Lipstick Vintage Capsule Collection in Oil Slick ($17): Gray is having a a major moment right now, especially on our lips — lucky for you neutral-toned gals, you can rock all 50 shades if you want. This one — which Urban Decay brought back from their original collection 20 years ago — may read more charcoal, but its sheer finish with a teeny bit of shimmer gives your lips just a hint of the trend without looking too goth.
8. Le Metier De Beaute Moisture Matte Lipstick in Fervor ($32): A rose-based pink like this color is a makeup bag staple. While matte can sometimes be drying, this new formula boasts specialized pigments and moisturizing vitamin E, so it feels super smooth and rich on your pucker.
9. Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Lip Colour in Milky Way ($28): Neutral tones can be enhanced with a deeper version of a nude. This cocoa shade is incredibly versatile — you can apply a gloss over it to lighten it up, or add layers of color to create a darker pout.
Follow us on Pinterest for more fall makeup inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.