9 Gardening Gadgets + Apps to Save Your Plants
So long, snow! It’s time to start our spring gardens. Lucky for us, we can give our green thumbs a whole lot of help with these garden apps and gadgets. Whether you’re looking to identify a specific variety, or just want to keep yourself on a watering schedule, we’ve got something for you. Grab your gloves, tools and those super cute planters you packed away for winter, and let’s get messy and tech-y all at once.
1. Flower Checker: We’ve all been there: You’re on a walk and you spot the perfect flowers for your garden, only you don’t have a way to identify them. With this app, you can take a picture of your dream flowers and upload them to the app, and it’ll do all the hard work for you.
Cost: $0.99 on Android
2. Grow Planner: Getting organized has never been so fun or green. Plan your awesome garden before you even go to pick up your plants. It’ll calculate how many of a particular plant you can fit in your garden. As if that wasn’t enough, it’ll also give you great tips about weather, soil and planting times.
Cost: $7.99 for iOS (iPad and iPhone)
3. House + Garden: Running low on ideas? Get a fresh batch right to your phone with this beautifully styled House + Garden app. You get the full magazine on a month-by-month basis, so no more running down to the store or tearing pictures out of magazines. Now you can just take a screen shot and upload to Pinterest.
Cost: $5.99 per month on iOS
4. Sprout It: Sprout It is the greatest app if you have no idea where to start. It’ll tell you what the best plants are for your zone, when to plant and even when to harvest. Newbies, you’ve totally got this gardening thing down.
Cost: Free on iOS
5. Home Depot: You may know Home Depot as your friendly source for hardware goods, but their app can actually save you time, so you’re not wandering the aisles in search of help. Plan your garden shopping trip and make it as streamlined as possible with their app, and get the scoop on their sales. The only thing we like more than efficiency is a good deal.
6. Like That Garden: Similar to the Flower Checker for Android, this app helps you identify varieties of plants, plus it gives you the origin, ideal climate and information you need to grow the healthiest plant you possibly can.
Cost: Free on iOS
7. Niwa: It’s not even out yet, but we are so excited about this. It’s an indoor greenhouse, so even if you don’t have a yard, you can grow all of your own vegetables indoors. As if that weren’t exciting enough, Niwa comes with a super impressive interactive app to make sure your veggies are getting exactly what they need out of their environment.
Cost: App free with purchase of Niwa, starting at $279
8. Infragram: If you want to get really knowledgable about your garden, get this infrared plant camera. It actually shows you the parts of your plant that are actively growing at any given moment. When you’re not in your garden, you can use this camera to decode what all of the infrared information means. If you have any junior scientists in your house, this is a very affordable DIY that will keep them busy in the outdoors for hours.
Cost: Starting at $10 on Kickstarter
9. Parrot: This garden tool assess what your plants’ needs are. Even if you have the blackest of black thumbs, there’s no way you can go wrong with this thing. It lets you know with an app whether your plant needs water, sunlight or fertilizer and even if the plant is getting too hot or too cold.
Cost: App free for Android and iOS with Parrot, $59
What’s your favorite garden tool? Let us know in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)