21 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for the Morning After T-Day
Leftover pie does not a breakfast make. (As good as that sounds… just, no.) Whether you’re planning on waking up at the crack of dawn and putting on your fiercest Black Friday outfit to rub elbows with fellow frugalistas or snoozing for a few hours and staying in your loungewear all day (no judgment here), you need a healthy breakfast to balance out that Thanksgiving feast. Keep scrolling for 21 good-for-you morning meal ideas that will have you drooling.
1. Baked Tomato Eggs: These cuties have to be the easiest recipe of the bunch. And the best part? You can store the leftovers in the fridge for up to five days, which means breakfast is taken care of for the rest of the week. Just reheat and eat. (via Fed + Fit)
2. Thanksgiving Leftovers Tortilla Quiche: Quiche is great because you can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. (Actually, we’re always game for having breakfast for lunch or dinner.) Throw in whatever veg you have in your crisper drawer. We love the use of a whole-wheat tortilla as the crust for this egg pie. (via Imma Eat That)
3. Greek Yogurt With Figs, Walnuts, Mint and Honey: We’re going to close our eyes and imagine sitting on a balcony in Santorini while enjoying this decadent (but healthy) fruit-and-nut-topped yogurt. Gah. (via Sprinkle of Cinnamon)
4. Lea Michele’s Egg White Frittata: ICYMI: Glee‘s Lea Michele wrote a part-memoir, part-lifestyle guide book Brunette Ambition and included her fave recipes, like this veggie-filled egg white frittata. (via PopSugar Fitness)
5. Bell Pepper Egg Toasts With Fresh Herb Salad: O.M.G. There aren’t many things that get us out of bed in the morning willingly, but a runny egg yolk over a bed of greens on top of toast will do the trick. Next to butter, there’s nothing sexier melting on crisped bread. (via Food Gays)
6. Vegan Chickpea Spinach Crepes: Forgo the heaviness of a traditional white-flour crepe and switch it out with a gluten-free flour, like chickpea, which can be found at Asian food stores. Wrap it up with your choice of savory veggies, like garlicky spinach, and drizzle with a simple tahini sauce. Yum, yum and YUM. (via Elderflower Kitchen)
7. Asparagus Quiche With a Spaghetti Squash Crust: Spaghetti squash can do no wrong in our book. We love subbing it for pasta, and now we can use it as a savory pie crust? Get outta town. (via Tasty Kitchen)
8. Winter Sunshine Smoothie: When you’re running out the door to execute your Black Friday shopping strategy, ain’t nobody got time to cook a meal. But that doesn’t mean you need to skimp on the most important meal of the day. Blend up this superfood smoothie, which includes fresh coconut meat and water, oranges, bananas, goji berries, hemp seeds, turmeric and beet kvass (similar to kombucha) and throw it in a tumbler to sip on your way to the mall. (via Living Nutrition)
9. Quinoa-Spinach Bake: It’s time to shake up your traditional strata recipe. Swap out day-old bread for quinoa, throw in veggies and herbs like spinach, thyme and rosemary and bake it up for a new spin on breakfast bars. (via Martha Stewart)
1o. Healthy Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal: Stovetop oatmeal is a comforting breakfast that is meant to be enjoyed on the couch in flannel pajamas. Top this pumpkin spiced porridge with a healthy dose of chia seeds, pecans and ground flaxseed to maximize its healthiness. Don’t forget to drizzle in maple syrup or molasses for a touch of sweetness. (via The Chic Life)
11. Lean Green Smoothie: Going into a straight-up juice fast immediately after Thanksgiving isn’t the best idea. But the kale, mango, oranges and pineapple in this green smoothie are a major fiber boost, which will help kickstart your system to process all the food you ate yesterday. (via GI 365)
12. Healthy + Fast Breakfast Egg Roll: Scrambled eggs rolled up in a tortilla is one of our all-time fave breakfasts, because… tacos. This recipe makes sure you get equal egg-to-tortilla ratio, maximizing scrambled surface area. Add a side of hydrating cantaloupe slices and say goodbye to that hangover. (via Pepper Garlic Kitchen)
13. Banana Cream Pie Overnight Oatmeal: Mindy Kaling expressed her aversion to anything cream pie on Twitter last week, but we have a feeling she’ll change her mind with one spoonful of this pie-inspired oatmeal. (via Warm Vanilla Sugar)
17. Porridge a la Carotta: Who knew you could top your oatmeal with veggies? The carrot sauce gets its sweetness from dates and vanilla extract. Layer on whatever fruit and nuts you have lying around; this version uses pomegranate, orange wedges and coconut chips to add texture and crunch. (via Wolf Goes Vegan)
18. Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns: Admit it, you reached your potato quota from yesterday’s feast. We love this healthy take on crispy, crunchy hash browns using oh-so-versatile spaghetti squash. (via B Britnell)
19. Spinach Artichoke Tofu Quiche: We love every ingredient packed into this protein and nutrient-rich quiche — tofu, roasted garlic, shallots, artichoke hearts, olives, pine nuts and spinach. Can you believe this quiche is egg-less? (via Yup It’s Vegan)
20. Beetroot, Carrot and Orange Juice: Sip this antioxidant, superfood juice to hit the reset button on your digestive system. The combination of root veggies, ginger and cinnamon does wonders for raising energy levels and metabolism. No wonder Dwight Schrute was so strong. (via Sprinkle of Cinnamon)
Who’s ready for breakfast? Tell us which healthy morning meal you’re making in the comments!
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?