21 Cool Gifts for the Hipster Guy in Your Life
Truth: Pinning down the perfect gift for the fussy hipster in your life is no easy task (is their favorite coffee cold brew or pour over — I can’t remember!). But have no fear. There are plenty of stylish, rad and practical gifts out there that feel anything but mainstream — the all-important consideration when buying for your beloved “bohemian” bud. From funky subscription services that’ll keep them ahead of the cultural curve to beer-making kits and a plethora of handmade items (embellished with mustaches, of course), these 21 gifts for the hipster guy in your life will earn you major props with your alternative ami. Because you can do better than a six-pack of PBR.
1. How to Make Coffee by Lani Kingston ($19): Ever since his fave neighborhood coffee joint was “discovered” by the masses, your bud’s morning cup of Joe just hasn’t been the same — there’s a subtle tone of “sellout” in his single-origin brew (or so he says). Lift his hipster spirits with a book dedicated to mastering the fine art of coffee brewing at home. He’ll be preaching the virtues of the do-it-yourself pot in no time.
2. Polaroid Originals Limited Edition Gold Frame 600 Instant Film ($24): If you thought Polaroid photos couldn’t get any cooler (hard to believe — we know), think again. The insta pics get an ultra glam makeover with gilded gold frames. Just one more reason that old school trumps new school.
3. vnyl Membership (starting at $22): Probably the coolest subscription service out there, vnyl will hook your guy up with a selection of carefully curated records every month. Now staying on top of the indie scene will be easier than ever.
4. Timbuk2 Lug Recruit Backpack ($119): Bike bags will no doubt cramp his fixie’s style, so an on-point backpack is a must. This Timbuk2 number isn’t just easy on the eyes — it also boasts dual side pockets, a laptop sleeve and plenty of space to stash all of his essentials.
5. Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA Beer Making Kit ($40): The one thing that just might derail his bizarre obsession with the cult classic PBR — a few homemade brewskis.
6. The Art of Shaving Unscented Shaving Soap with Bowl ($50): Keep his beard or sweet ‘stache looking fly with a little old-fashioned shave soap. It’s formulated with glycerin and coconut oil to leave skin feeling smooth and shipshape.
7. Luckies of London Smartphone Projector ($28): Why bother investing in a big-screen TV when you have a perfectly good wall and a smartphone (crack-free screens being key here)? Movie nights are about to get a whole lot more interesting.
8. Topman Mid Wash Borg Denim Jacket ($100): With denim, shearling and a classic silhouette, you really can’t go wrong. No doubt this timeless topper will perfectly complement all the band tees kickin’ it in his closet.
9. Areaware Timber Bottle Axe ($18): A bottle opener will always serve him well, whether he’s crackin’ open a craft brew or a bottle of his favorite pop. An axe-shaped number doesn’t just pack plenty of utility — it’ll let him tap into his outdoorsy side too (kind of).
10. Gentlemen’s Hardware Credit Card Tool ($15): Who needs a whole set of tools when you can have this pint-sized, do-it-all gadget instead? With this in tow, your free-spirited friend will earn handyman status stat.
11. Morihata Small Chikuno Cube House ($68): This sneaky little sculpture actually doubles as an air purifier that can be used anywhere from closets to bathrooms to bedrooms, and even the fridge. Maybe save this one for a mate that thinks chaos (read: mess and funky smells) generates creativity.
13. UO Long Sleeve Patterned Flannel Shirt ($54): For those times when all the flannel is in the wash, this woven cotton top will do his sartorial sensibilities proud.
14. Shaker and Spoon ($50+/month): Like Birchbox for the cocktail enthusiast, Shaker and Spoon will deliver three recipes and all the ingredients (minus the booze) to make 12 drinks.
15. Field Notes Expedition Pack ($13): With waterproof and tear-proof paper, these pocket-size notebooks will keep his notes, ideas, and sketches safe and sound, rain or shine.
16. Hella Slingshots ($40): If you plan on gifting this handmade mischief-maker to your mate, just make sure he doesn’t shoot his eye out.
17. Bruer Coffee Cold Brewer ($80): What your fave hipster doesn’t know is that this cold brewer is really your sneaky way of getting someone else to make your cool cup of joe.
18. ASOS Bobble Beanie in Mustard Wool Mix Twist ($18): Give him the gift of warmth this season with a cozy woolen hat and a playful fuzzy pom.
19. Stendig Calendar 2019 ($50): It may look simple, but this Stendig Calendar, designed by Massimo Vignelli in 1966, was taken into the Design collection of the MoMA in the very same year. A desk accessory with a story — now that’s something.
20. Tie Bar Two-Wheeler Stripe Bow Tie ($19): Forget the skinny tie — quirky bow ties are all the rage. To complement his already killer facial hair, say happy holidays with a two-wheeled style.
21. Filson Leather Bi-Fold Wallet ($88): Simple and sleek, this vegetable-tanned leather wallet will keep your dude’s d’argent in check.
This post was originally published on November 28, 2015,
What will you be gifting the hipster in your life this holiday season? Let us know @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.