Kimberly Snyder’s Chickpea Stew With Pesto Helps You Get Your Veg When It’s Way Too Cold
Cookbookmarked! is our new series where we review the latest cookbooks from the foodie influencers you follow. Check back often to find out which new releases are worth your hard-earned cash and the recipes you should try first from each.
Eating well, developing healthy habits, and stressing less are the usual suspects for New Year resolutions. If you’re keeping them going strong, *kudos,* but if you’ve had a few slip-ups, celebrity nutritionist Kimberly Snyder is here to tell you it’s okay. Synder’s new cookbook title, Recipes for Your Perfectly Imperfect Life: Everyday Ways to Live and Eat for Health, Healing, and Happiness ($20) will encourage you to embrace life’s messiness.
Rather than hit you hard with an intense detox plan, Synder, who has worked with Drew Barrymore, Kerry Washington, and Reese Witherspoon, provides practical tips for prepping and cooking nourishing meals at home. Out of 100 plant-based recipes for smoothies, soups, snacks, and entrées, it was impossible to choose one, so we asked Snyder for her recommendation. She’s a huge fan of the chickpea stew with pesto, which she says may help you feel as good as her signature Glowing Green Smoothie.
chickpea stew with pistachio pesto
Have you ever had pesto in a stew? It’s delicious! Pesto, made of freshly ground basil and nuts, is a delicious way to nourish yourself with minerals, antioxidants, and protein. The detoxifying aspect of this recipe comes from omitting the cheese, extra oil, and even the garlic, which can be a bit agitating. You will start feeling so amazing as you go along your continuing detox journey toward lightness that you won’t even miss those ingredients in this dish. Chickpea Stew is so hearty it makes a fantastic main course.
- 1 cup raw unsalted pistachios
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1. Make the pistachio pesto: Combine all the pesto ingredients in a food processor or mortar and pestle. Process or mash together, retaining some chunky texture.
2. Make the stew: Combine the onion, carrots, celery, and vegetable broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes, until the veggies are soft. Add the cooked chickpeas and 1/2 cup of the pesto, and simmer over low heat for an additional 10 minutes. Season with salt. (Save the rest of the pesto to use as a veggie dip; it will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. We just had to make a larger amount to ensure easier blending.)
3. Ladle the stew into bowls and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve with brown rice (preferably soaked and sprouted).
Find more wholesome recipes by following Brit + Co on Pinterest.
(Recipe and photos via Recipes for Your Perfectly Imperfect Life: Everyday Ways to Live and Eat for Health, Healing, and Happiness Paperback by Kimberly Snyder C.N.)