Plan Ahead: 15 Couple Costume Ideas for Halloween
We know what you’re thinking. Costumes? For what? Well, aside from Halloween being something we prepare for months in advance, there are plenty of opportunities for couples costumes all year round. Themed birthday parties, Burning Man, 4th of July BBQs — all are fair game in the costume department. But if October’s the only time you turn it out, Pin these now and come back to them later.
The last year in pop culture has been packed to the max with costume-worthy couples, from the ladies of Orange is the New Black to the dudes of 22 Jump Street. Here are 15 pop culture couple costume ideas for 2014… so far ;)
1. Dumb and Dumber To: Lloyd and Harry are at it again… 20 years later. Yes. It’s been 20 years. What better time to bring back the baby blue and orange tuxes?
3. Cory and Topanga: In case you missed it, these two are back in action this year as parents. To turn this couple into a costume, your beau might need a temporary perm ;)
4. Piper and Alex from Orange is the New Black: These star crossed lovers would be an easy costume to recreate, provided you have access to prison uniforms. Or, you could dye a pair of blue scrubs that special dingy brown hue.
5. The Dudes from 22 Jump Street: Board shorts, printed man tanks and guns out. Done.
7. James Franco and Seth Rogen, “Bound 2” Edition: And from Kim and Kanye to their would-be doppelgängers, Franco and Rogen. You would need a fake motorcycle to pull this costume off for sure.
8. Pharrell and His Hat: No, not Pharrell wearing his infamous hat. One person dresses as Pharrell in his track jacket and the other person dresses AS the hat. So good!
9. Bill and Hillary Campaigning for 2016: Still have that Bill Clinton mask from the ’90s? Bring it back because the Clintons are back in action!
10. Entrepreneur Barbie and Her Entourage: If you’re a couple, one of you could dress as Entrepreneur Barbie while the other dresses as… her tablet? How about Intern Skipper?? If you’re a group, make this Barbie brigade happen. Stat.
11. Jennifer Lawrence Photobombing Taylor Swift: This has to be one of the best photobombs the red carpet has ever seen. Don a white strapless dress as JLaw, a red and black gown as TSwift, and let the photobombing hijinx commence!
13. Jimmy Fallon and Jennifer Lopez, Tight Pants Time: One of the strangest Jimmy Fallon skits to go viral, white pants and striped turtlenecks will turn you into tight pants titans in no time.
14. Grand Budapest Characters: There are two options with this one. Either you go as the lobby boy and his baker love, or you go as the lobby boy and his idol, Ralph Fiennes. Either way, you need at least one purple suit.
15. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir: Finally, make your Olympic fashion dreams come true by dressing up as “the glimmer twins,” Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. Leave your skates at home.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!