Plan Ahead: 15 Couple Costume Ideas for Halloween
We know what you’re thinking. Costumes? For what? Well, aside from Halloween being something we prepare for months in advance, there are plenty of opportunities for couples costumes all year round. Themed birthday parties, Burning Man, 4th of July BBQs — all are fair game in the costume department. But if October’s the only time you turn it out, Pin these now and come back to them later.
The last year in pop culture has been packed to the max with costume-worthy couples, from the ladies of Orange is the New Black to the dudes of 22 Jump Street. Here are 15 pop culture couple costume ideas for 2014… so far ;)
1. Dumb and Dumber To: Lloyd and Harry are at it again… 20 years later. Yes. It’s been 20 years. What better time to bring back the baby blue and orange tuxes?
3. Cory and Topanga: In case you missed it, these two are back in action this year as parents. To turn this couple into a costume, your beau might need a temporary perm ;)
4. Piper and Alex from Orange is the New Black: These star crossed lovers would be an easy costume to recreate, provided you have access to prison uniforms. Or, you could dye a pair of blue scrubs that special dingy brown hue.
5. The Dudes from 22 Jump Street: Board shorts, printed man tanks and guns out. Done.
7. James Franco and Seth Rogen, “Bound 2” Edition: And from Kim and Kanye to their would-be doppelgängers, Franco and Rogen. You would need a fake motorcycle to pull this costume off for sure.
8. Pharrell and His Hat: No, not Pharrell wearing his infamous hat. One person dresses as Pharrell in his track jacket and the other person dresses AS the hat. So good!
9. Bill and Hillary Campaigning for 2016: Still have that Bill Clinton mask from the ’90s? Bring it back because the Clintons are back in action!
10. Entrepreneur Barbie and Her Entourage: If you’re a couple, one of you could dress as Entrepreneur Barbie while the other dresses as… her tablet? How about Intern Skipper?? If you’re a group, make this Barbie brigade happen. Stat.
11. Jennifer Lawrence Photobombing Taylor Swift: This has to be one of the best photobombs the red carpet has ever seen. Don a white strapless dress as JLaw, a red and black gown as TSwift, and let the photobombing hijinx commence!
13. Jimmy Fallon and Jennifer Lopez, Tight Pants Time: One of the strangest Jimmy Fallon skits to go viral, white pants and striped turtlenecks will turn you into tight pants titans in no time.
14. Grand Budapest Characters: There are two options with this one. Either you go as the lobby boy and his baker love, or you go as the lobby boy and his idol, Ralph Fiennes. Either way, you need at least one purple suit.
15. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir: Finally, make your Olympic fashion dreams come true by dressing up as “the glimmer twins,” Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. Leave your skates at home.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.