Plan Ahead: 15 Couple Costume Ideas for Halloween
We know what you’re thinking. Costumes? For what? Well, aside from Halloween being something we prepare for months in advance, there are plenty of opportunities for couples costumes all year round. Themed birthday parties, Burning Man, 4th of July BBQs — all are fair game in the costume department. But if October’s the only time you turn it out, Pin these now and come back to them later.
The last year in pop culture has been packed to the max with costume-worthy couples, from the ladies of Orange is the New Black to the dudes of 22 Jump Street. Here are 15 pop culture couple costume ideas for 2014… so far ;)
1. Dumb and Dumber To: Lloyd and Harry are at it again… 20 years later. Yes. It’s been 20 years. What better time to bring back the baby blue and orange tuxes?
3. Cory and Topanga: In case you missed it, these two are back in action this year as parents. To turn this couple into a costume, your beau might need a temporary perm ;)
4. Piper and Alex from Orange is the New Black: These star crossed lovers would be an easy costume to recreate, provided you have access to prison uniforms. Or, you could dye a pair of blue scrubs that special dingy brown hue.
5. The Dudes from 22 Jump Street: Board shorts, printed man tanks and guns out. Done.
7. James Franco and Seth Rogen, “Bound 2” Edition: And from Kim and Kanye to their would-be doppelgängers, Franco and Rogen. You would need a fake motorcycle to pull this costume off for sure.
8. Pharrell and His Hat: No, not Pharrell wearing his infamous hat. One person dresses as Pharrell in his track jacket and the other person dresses AS the hat. So good!
9. Bill and Hillary Campaigning for 2016: Still have that Bill Clinton mask from the ’90s? Bring it back because the Clintons are back in action!
10. Entrepreneur Barbie and Her Entourage: If you’re a couple, one of you could dress as Entrepreneur Barbie while the other dresses as… her tablet? How about Intern Skipper?? If you’re a group, make this Barbie brigade happen. Stat.
11. Jennifer Lawrence Photobombing Taylor Swift: This has to be one of the best photobombs the red carpet has ever seen. Don a white strapless dress as JLaw, a red and black gown as TSwift, and let the photobombing hijinx commence!
13. Jimmy Fallon and Jennifer Lopez, Tight Pants Time: One of the strangest Jimmy Fallon skits to go viral, white pants and striped turtlenecks will turn you into tight pants titans in no time.
14. Grand Budapest Characters: There are two options with this one. Either you go as the lobby boy and his baker love, or you go as the lobby boy and his idol, Ralph Fiennes. Either way, you need at least one purple suit.
15. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir: Finally, make your Olympic fashion dreams come true by dressing up as “the glimmer twins,” Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir. Leave your skates at home.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.