The BritList: Rashida Jones Talks ’70s LA, the Fresh Prince Cast Gets a Modern Day Makeover + More
Happy Friday, folks! It’s an especially rad day for us because RE:MAKE IS HERE! Today we’ll be learning all about tech, creativity and innovation from some of the best folks the industry has to offer. And while we’ll be on a total maker-induced high from now until who knows when, we couldn’t leave you without your weekly round-up of all the weird + awesome things that showed up on the web this week.
PS! If you want to come and meet a whole bunch of awesome makers and get crafty with FREE DIYS, come to Fort Mason in SF tomorrow (Saturday 9/12) to join us for the festival day of Re:Make (RSVP here)! Now, onto 11 things that made us look, laugh and raise our eyebrows this week.
2. Lolo Lids: Enjoying an ice cold beer at places like the beach or the park seems like a given, but in case you forgot, it’s actually not allowed. If you really want that brewski but don’t want a ticket we suggest you hide it inside this genius creation that makes it look like you’re just enjoying an inoccent cup of coffee.
3. Oh Joy x Freshly Picked Baby Mocs: Whether you actually have a baby to dress or not, theses shoes too adorable not to check out. Oh Joy partnered with baby shoe company, Freshly Picked to create some of the cutest baby shoes we’ve ever seen. We’re obsessed with this pair but you should also know that there is also a pair that looks like an ice-cream cone. BABY ICE CREAM MOCS, people!
4. Printable Cheeseburger Invites: Summer may be over but keep those epic BBQ parties going strong with these adorable cheeseburger shaped invites that you can print from home.
6. Shapes Cocktail Napkins ($30 for 4): They’re so pretty you won’t want to use them (but also, use them because that’s what they’re made for).
7. Easiest DIY Totes Ever: Looking to update a basic tote in an hour? Check out our tutorial on handstamping! Want to make this bag fo’ free?! Come to Re:Make and look for this project at Michael’s DIY station.
8. Justin and Jill’s Drunk History: Following the format of the beloved Funny or Die webseries (and now actual TV series), Justin and Jill had a little too much to drink and then talked about how they met. Spoiler: it’s just as hilarious as you’d expect.
9. Modern Day Fresh Prince Characters: If this isn’t a sign that ’90s fashion is back in a big way, we’re not sure what is. Hilary, Carlton and Will’s modern day makeover look a little bit different than what they rocked on the show, but not much. Ashley on the other hand, she is looking extra cool!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.