12 Weird Fruits You Should Be Salting
Whether it’s salted chocolate or salted caramel, there is just something magical about a touch of salt. It counteracts the sweetness, brings out the flavor and somehow makes everything ten times more addicting. So what about adding a dash of salt to your breakfast fruit salad? Though there’s almost nothing better than perfectly ripe fruit, adding a pinch of salt can actually boost the fruit’s natural sweetness and also reduce the bitterness of unripened fruit. From apples to watermelon, here are 12 fruits that love flirting it up with a pinch of salt.
1. Pineapple With Chile Salt: Pineapple is already pretty sweet, but a dash of chile salt pulls out a whole new flavor that you wouldn’t expect, but will quickly become addicted to. (via Girl Cooks World)
2. Grapefruit Salty Dog: Refreshing and easy to make, this sweet and salty cocktail will be great all year long. The salted rim and tartness of grapefruit will have you feeling like you’re on a beach somewhere… even if you’re just sitting at home in your yoga pants. (via The Cookie Rookie)
4. Smoked Peach Caprese With Smoked Salt: Flavored salt brings a whole new dimension to this sweet and summery dish. Stack up juicy peaches with thick slices of mozzarella, fresh herbs and a hearty pinch of smoked sea salt for an easy salad that will have your dinner guests swooning. (via How Sweet It Is)
5. Tomato Bruschetta: While some of us are still skeptical of salted fruit, we can all agree that tomatoes need salt like, well, we need this delicious bruschetta. Add avocado, basil and balsamic vinegar for the perfect appetizer. (via Damn Delicious)
6. Green Apples: The sour tang of green apples is always delicious when complemented with salted caramel or even a salty slice of cheddar cheese. Sprinkle flaked salt on Granny Smith slices for a snack or whip up this apple sandwich with salty prosciutto to get the same effect. (via Bowl of Delicious)
7. Watermelon: Salted watermelon is a actually great post-workout snack. The addition of salt and the sugars in the watermelon make it a refreshing recovery snack after a super sweaty workout. Sprinkle salt right on a few slices or whip up this tasty slushy. (via Fed and Fit)
8. Sweet and Salty Cantaloupe Salad: There are fewer than six ingredients in this salad, but it looks so fancy that everyone will be very impressed. The salt helps balance out the muskiness of the melon. (via Tackling Toast)
9. Salted Strawberry Bruschetta: You might not think sprinkling salt on strawberries would be appetizing, but the sweetness of strawberries with the acidity of balsamic and the salt give you the ultimate flavor trifecta. (via Foolproof Living)
10. Roasted Grape Crostini With Honey and Sea Salt: If you’ve eaten tomato and basil crostini all summer, it’s time to mix things up with roasted grapes, creamy brie cheese and honey. Roasted grapes and honey are the perfect accent to smooth brie cheese, but the sea salt makes it not overly sweet. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
11. Salted Banana Chips: If your bananas have gone a little overripe, try making chips out of ’em with salt and pepper. With a little sprinkle of brown sugar, these little chips caramelize up perfectly to make a healthy snack. (via A Beautiful Mess)
What are your favorite fruits to eat with salt? Will you give any of these a try? Talk to us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)