Whether you’re looking for Super Bowl appetizers, planning wedding food on a budget or just want some easy-to-prep snacks for when friends drop by, you can’t go wrong with waffle bites. The same waffle iron hack that saved your life back in your dorm days can make finger food prep easy peasy. Just shoot for the savory waffle side of the taste spectrum. And think small, as in finger foods that don’t require utensils. Here are 18 savory waffle bites so tasty that the full platter is going to come back to the kitchen empty every time.
1. Potato Chip Crusted Chicken Meatball and Waffle Bites: Oh, em, gee — it’s like everyone’s fave chicken and waffles, but this chicken has a potato chip crust. Given a generous maple syrup pour, the combined taste is pure salt and sweet nirvana. (via Climbing Grier Mountain)
2. Chicken Frittata Waffle Tapas: Have you ever tried to heat up leftover frittata? Well, don’t throw it out until you’ve pressed a slice inside a hot waffle iron. The egg and potato mixture crisps up deliciously and the chicken meatball is like the icing on the cake. (via The Chick Who Eats)
3. Chicken & Waffles With Maple-Sriracha Glaze: This recipe takes everyone’s fave chicken and waffles and turns it up a notch with fiery Sriracha. Prepare for the onslaught, because everyone will be asking for the recipe. (via Earnest Home Co.)
4. Guacamole Waffle Bites: These sweet potato waffle bites come together easily with ingredients — like bacon and eggs — that you probably have on hand. It calls for fresh avocado, but you can substitute any store-bought guacamole and they’ll be just as delicious. (via The Lean Green Bean)
5. Waffled French Onion Soup: These babies are Gruyère- and caramelized onion-stuffed, buttery puff pastry-encased, burnt cheese-crusted, onion gravy-drizzled, ultra savory soup waffles. And when you put it like that, what’s not to love? (via Host the Toast)
6. Smoked Salmon and Dill Waffles: Salty from the smoked salmon and cheese, and creamy from the cream cheese, these crispy waffles are delicious. They’d be perfect for brunch when you’re looking for something different than same ol’ same ol’ bagels and lox.
7. Mashed Potato Waffles With Cheddar and Chives: Everyone loves latkes, but they can be quite labor intensive. This recipe takes leftover mashed taters and crisps them up in the waffle iron in just minutes. (via Joy the Baker)
10. Quinoa and Zucchini Pizza Fritters: What happens when spiralized zucchini meets quinoa batter, Italian herbs and three kinds of cheese? Prepare to meet your next pizza addiction. (via Kelly’s Ambitious Kitchen)
11. Sticky Rice Waffle Bites With Sesame Ginger Dipping Sauce: Proving once and for all that you really can waffle iron almost anything, these crazy sticky rice wafflettes are the BOMB! Click through for a perfect ginger dipping sauce or serve them with some fresh avocado slices. (via Probably This)
12. Buffalo & Blue Mini Chicken and Waffles: If Buffalo chicken wings and chicken ‘n’ waffles had a baby, it would look like this. These yummy bites are perfect for your next tailgate or game day party. Everyone will be SO impressed. (via Atta Girl Says)
13. Shrimp and Waffle Bites With Creole Pepper Jelly Sauce: This recipe takes the classic chicken and waffles and puts a real New Orleans spin on it. This one’s elegant enough to serve at a wedding or fancy brunch. (Raised on a Roux)
14. Chicken and Waffles Nachos: Okay, this is *not* for the faint of heart, so grab yourself a napkin, because it’s gonna get messy! But despite all that danger, you are guaranteed the ultimate compliment — clean plates, big smiles and full bellies. (via Real Food by Dad)
15. Zucchini Waffles: These zucchini bites are GF, low carb and Paleo. They freeze well, but if you’re hoping for leftovers to take into the office for lunch, you’d best set a few aside, because there won’t be any leftovers. (via My Life Cookbook)
16. Buffalo Hummus Chicken Waffle Bites: Even those who don’t LOVE football totally *love* football food. These bites combine three of everyone’s faves: Buffalo chicken wings, chicken and waffles and spicy hummus — a triple winner. (via Running to the Kitchen)
17. Falafel Waffles: This recipe begins the old fashioned way, with overnight soaked beans, but you can jump-start it with canned chickpeas and it will taste just as good. Actual cooking time is about 15 minutes tops, making it the perfect appetizer to keep you out of the kitchen and in front of the screen at your next game-day gathering. (via Simple Vegan Blog)
18. Mini Nashville Hot Chicken & Waffles With Candied Jalapeños: If you haven’t tried Nashville hot chicken, prepare for a tasty treat. These badass bite-sized nuggets of sweet, salty and HOT will hit your taste buds in all the right places. (via Jess Pryles)
If you LOVE appetizer ideas like these savory waffle bits, follow us on Pinterest for more.