Given how popular they are now, it seems like a fairy tale that once upon a time short ribs were a not-so-desirable cut of beef. Scrolling through these 25 recipes, though, it’s not hard to see why they became such a hot item in the butcher’s case, seemingly overnight. Whether you cook ’em slow for hours and hours or infuse them a tasty marinade and toss ’em on the grill for a quick sear, one thing’s for sure: their flavor and versatility is legendary!
4. Short Rib Tacos With Orange BBQ Sauce and Spicy Orange Cucumber Salsa : A playful combo of flavors and textures are tucked inside corn tortillas to create these SoCal-inspired tacos. (via The Devil Wears Parsley )
5. Wine-braised Beef Short Ribs With Rosemary and Bacon Sweet Potatoes (Paleo) : Port stands in for the usual red wine in this braise that’s just a touch sweeter than the rest. (via Better with Butter )
6. Spicy Porter Short Rib Chili : Upgrade your ground chuck to short ribs and you’ll have an even more indulgent bowlful of rich beer- and chipotle-boosted chili to warm up with. (via Running to the Kitchen )
8. Loaded Sweet Potato Irish Nachos With Beer Braised Short Ribs : Make these outside-the-box, topping-heavy nachos for your next game day get-together and you’ll totally be named MVP. (via Domesticate Me )
10. Crockpot Curried Thai Short Rib Lettuce Wraps With Peanut Sauce + Mango Salsa : Whip out the ol’ weeknight wonder and cook up these amazing lettuce wraps tonight. (via Half Baked Harvest )
12. Whiskey Braised Short Rib Flatbread : Fear not, the DIY dough for this tasty flatbread topped with short ribs, grilled corn, gruyere, caramelized onions and peppery arugula requires no yeast at all! (via How Sweet Eats )
16. Braised Short Ribs With Celery Root Puree : Wanna know these ribs’ secret ingredient? It’s cocoa powder! A quarter cupful lends an extra layer of can’t-quite-place-my-finger-on-it flavor. (via Saveur )
20. Grilled Korean BBQ Short Rib Dogs with Sweet Peach Relish + Spicy Korean Slaw : Don’t be fooled by the name and the buns, these beauties aren’t hot dogs at all! (via Half Baked Harvest )
21. Guajillo Chili Braised Short Ribs : This recipe comes courtesy of Tacolicious, a favorite destination in the San Francisco Bay Area for tacos, cocktails, good times and more! Who wouldn’t want to recreate all that at home? (via Tasting Table )
24. Salt House’s Poutine (Gluten-free) : You have got to try this upscale take on classic poutine — topped with a hearty short rib gravy made from leftover braising liquid and meat, a creamy cheese sauce and fresh mozzarella, you won’t want to share a pile of these fries with anyone else! (via A Sage Amalgam )
Are short ribs on your short list of favorite beef cuts? How do you like to prepare them? Let’s talk all things simmered and seared in the comments!