14 Denim Statement Pieces That Aren’t Jeans
All your spring cleaning efforts have likely opened up some closet real estate, so there’s no time like RN to start rounding out your capsule wardrobe with a slew of new hero pieces. In addition to the usual prospects — a versatile trench, a floral dress and some stylish wellies — this season marks the arrival of denim like you’ve never seen it before. And we’re not just talking about the latest unexpected denim trend on the block (cropped flares, anyone?). Mark our words: It won’t be long before you’re craving an off-duty denim parka or an effortless denim button-front shirt dress that can stand on its own (and always do you right). But first, scroll down for 14 of our favorite denim statement pieces that will put even your trusty boyfriend jeans to shame. Really!
1. Emma Mulholland Check You Later Embroidered Denim Jacket ($408): Coachella-bound babes, rejoice! Run, don’t walk, to snag this hippie-loving embroidered denim jacket that can be teamed with distressed cutoffs and fringed booties for the ultimate festival-going look.
2. Wilfred Free Van Delden Dress ($110): Minimalist does it — it’s not every day you come across a denim column dress with this much ease and French-girl sophistication. Offset the light blue hue and fringed hem with some dainty jewels and a pair of spring break-worthy slides.
3. BDG Tavi Lace-Up Blouse ($69): High-waisted black skinnies: check. Free-wheelin’ lace-up denim crop top: double check. Impromptu dressing just got a whole lot easier thanks to this streamlined uniform that can be edged up just a bit with ankle boots and a bold red lip.
4. ASOS Future Zone Espadrille Sandals ($48): Is it really even resort wear if you don’t have a pair of denim espadrilles on standby? (That’s a trick question). These fashion-forward steppers will look impeccable with a black bikini and an extra-floppy straw hat.
5. & Other Stories Panel Detail Dress ($95): Take note: Everyday denim basics (that are anything but blasé) will serve as the building blocks of your wardrobe this season. Enter the denim panel dress that’s un-fussy enough to be worn on its own, but chic enough to hold its own over a frilly collared blouse and menswear-inspired loafers for a boardroom-approved look.
6. Forever 21 Quilted Collarless Denim Coat ($48): Get ready to perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with this oversized quilted denim coat that will inspire you to do less this season. Up the cool factor by tossing it over an effortless striped dress and adding some all-white sneakers into the mix.
7. Free People Baby Love Denim Skirt ($128): Promising both comfort and style, this is the diamond-patterned denim skirt you’ll be flocking to once warmer weather hits. Style the easygoing silhouette with a plain white tee and some throwback suede mules for a trip to the farmers’ market or Sunday brunch.
8. Topshop Moto Stripe A-Line Skirt ($55): Swap out your prized button-front skirt for this striped denim A-line mini that reads cool girl in action. When styled alongside a leather jacket (or a jean jacket for a denim-on-denim look) and some lace-up flats, the outcome will be nothing short of ah-mazing.
9. Free People Green River One Piece ($128): Between music festivals and balmy weekend temps, we can think of an occasion or two (or five) for which this fierce denim romper might come in handy. Perfect your vintage rocker look with a body chain and some retro mirrored sunnies.
10. Northmore Denim Oversized Boxy Tee Dress With Raw Hem Detail ($60): Calling all self-proclaimed lazy girls! This boxy tee dress is the answer to all of your outfit conundrums. For a foolproof weekend look that requires minimal styling, simply slip this guy on with some combat boots and call it a day.
11. Kimchi Blue Aubrie Denim Apron Midi Dress ($79): Who knew a denim apron dress could be this chic (and not matronly in the least)? The lace-up back will straight-up stun without being overly revealing for a number of springtime occasions. Think: metallic slides for an exotic getaway or platform sandals for a spring wedding.
12. Madewell x Daryl K Cecilia Denim Shirtdress ($168): There’s something to be said for a belted denim shirt dress that makes you look (and feel) like you’re on your A-game. For a knockout look that’s just as worthy of date night as the first baseball pitch of the season, keep it simple with sensible flats and a leather tote.
13. Farrow Austin Skirt ($78): Ditch the tomboy aesthetic for this ladylike denim pleat skirt that can be worn on the reg. Complement the conservative midi length with granny-approved heels and top it off with a statement sweatshirt for serious style cred.
14. Reformation Sherpa Jacket ($148): Your favorite denim jacket just got a major upgrade — and with a faux fur collar, no less. For an upcoming spring gala, don’t hesitate to pair this James Dean-esque topper with a fancy ball gown or LBD.
Which of these denim statement pieces will you be investing in this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming spring trends.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)