14 Denim Statement Pieces That Aren’t Jeans
All your spring cleaning efforts have likely opened up some closet real estate, so there’s no time like RN to start rounding out your capsule wardrobe with a slew of new hero pieces. In addition to the usual prospects — a versatile trench, a floral dress and some stylish wellies — this season marks the arrival of denim like you’ve never seen it before. And we’re not just talking about the latest unexpected denim trend on the block (cropped flares, anyone?). Mark our words: It won’t be long before you’re craving an off-duty denim parka or an effortless denim button-front shirt dress that can stand on its own (and always do you right). But first, scroll down for 14 of our favorite denim statement pieces that will put even your trusty boyfriend jeans to shame. Really!
1. Emma Mulholland Check You Later Embroidered Denim Jacket ($408): Coachella-bound babes, rejoice! Run, don’t walk, to snag this hippie-loving embroidered denim jacket that can be teamed with distressed cutoffs and fringed booties for the ultimate festival-going look.
2. Wilfred Free Van Delden Dress ($110): Minimalist does it — it’s not every day you come across a denim column dress with this much ease and French-girl sophistication. Offset the light blue hue and fringed hem with some dainty jewels and a pair of spring break-worthy slides.
3. BDG Tavi Lace-Up Blouse ($69): High-waisted black skinnies: check. Free-wheelin’ lace-up denim crop top: double check. Impromptu dressing just got a whole lot easier thanks to this streamlined uniform that can be edged up just a bit with ankle boots and a bold red lip.
4. ASOS Future Zone Espadrille Sandals ($48): Is it really even resort wear if you don’t have a pair of denim espadrilles on standby? (That’s a trick question). These fashion-forward steppers will look impeccable with a black bikini and an extra-floppy straw hat.
5. & Other Stories Panel Detail Dress ($95): Take note: Everyday denim basics (that are anything but blasé) will serve as the building blocks of your wardrobe this season. Enter the denim panel dress that’s un-fussy enough to be worn on its own, but chic enough to hold its own over a frilly collared blouse and menswear-inspired loafers for a boardroom-approved look.
6. Forever 21 Quilted Collarless Denim Coat ($48): Get ready to perfect your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with this oversized quilted denim coat that will inspire you to do less this season. Up the cool factor by tossing it over an effortless striped dress and adding some all-white sneakers into the mix.
7. Free People Baby Love Denim Skirt ($128): Promising both comfort and style, this is the diamond-patterned denim skirt you’ll be flocking to once warmer weather hits. Style the easygoing silhouette with a plain white tee and some throwback suede mules for a trip to the farmers’ market or Sunday brunch.
8. Topshop Moto Stripe A-Line Skirt ($55): Swap out your prized button-front skirt for this striped denim A-line mini that reads cool girl in action. When styled alongside a leather jacket (or a jean jacket for a denim-on-denim look) and some lace-up flats, the outcome will be nothing short of ah-mazing.
9. Free People Green River One Piece ($128): Between music festivals and balmy weekend temps, we can think of an occasion or two (or five) for which this fierce denim romper might come in handy. Perfect your vintage rocker look with a body chain and some retro mirrored sunnies.
10. Northmore Denim Oversized Boxy Tee Dress With Raw Hem Detail ($60): Calling all self-proclaimed lazy girls! This boxy tee dress is the answer to all of your outfit conundrums. For a foolproof weekend look that requires minimal styling, simply slip this guy on with some combat boots and call it a day.
11. Kimchi Blue Aubrie Denim Apron Midi Dress ($79): Who knew a denim apron dress could be this chic (and not matronly in the least)? The lace-up back will straight-up stun without being overly revealing for a number of springtime occasions. Think: metallic slides for an exotic getaway or platform sandals for a spring wedding.
12. Madewell x Daryl K Cecilia Denim Shirtdress ($168): There’s something to be said for a belted denim shirt dress that makes you look (and feel) like you’re on your A-game. For a knockout look that’s just as worthy of date night as the first baseball pitch of the season, keep it simple with sensible flats and a leather tote.
13. Farrow Austin Skirt ($78): Ditch the tomboy aesthetic for this ladylike denim pleat skirt that can be worn on the reg. Complement the conservative midi length with granny-approved heels and top it off with a statement sweatshirt for serious style cred.
14. Reformation Sherpa Jacket ($148): Your favorite denim jacket just got a major upgrade — and with a faux fur collar, no less. For an upcoming spring gala, don’t hesitate to pair this James Dean-esque topper with a fancy ball gown or LBD.
Which of these denim statement pieces will you be investing in this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more upcoming spring trends.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.