10 Company Perks That Might Make You Consider a Career Change
Healthcare, 401K, vacation, sick days and free coffee sound like every employee’s dream. But if you work at some tech companies these days, that all sounds like amateur hour. Top tech giants are redefining employee perks in hopes that happy, stress-free employees = more productive employees. We’re all about inspiring creativity and helping with productivity… could a career change be in order for you? Read on to learn the craziest perks out there — they will blow your mind!
1. Happy Hours: It’s five o’clock somewhere in Silicon Valley! Thrillist, Yelp, TripAdvisor and Google are just some of the companies that have free alcohol on site after work hours. (via Business Insider, image via The Huffington Post)
2. Travel… On Them: Whether by plane, train or automobile, some companies help ease their employees’ travel woes. Google gives free rental cars to run errands, Uber offers unlimited car service, and Eventbrite and Zynga reimburse employees for travel to and from work. But the ultimate in travel perks comes from Airbnb, who give their employees $2,000 a year to travel anywhere in the world. (via Silicon Valley Business Journal)
4. Daily Meals: No time to leave your desk for lunch? Or breakfast? Or even dinner? No worries! Free meals and snacks are the most common perks among tech companies. (via The New York Times, image via KPU Marketing)
5. On-Site Amenities: Many companies offer on-site services that essentially make the phrase, “I have to run errands,” on par with, “The dog ate my homework.” Dropbox, Facebook and Google all have a barber shops. Facebook and Google also have healthcare centers, dry cleaning and laundy services. (via Silicon Valley Business Journal, image via Atomic Toasters)
6. Pet-Friendly Offices: Bring your pet to work every day! Airbnb, Google, Pinterest, and Eventbrite all let their employees bring their pets to the office. We wonder if there’s ever a midday break to play fetch? (via Business Insider)
7. Free Fitness: Healthiness is just as important as happiness. Many companies offer health perks that go beyond the standard gym. Airbnb provides weekly yoga classes, Pinterest has a biweekly running club and Google has lap pools. (via The Wherever Writer, image via HomeDSGN)
9. Endless Tech Products: The second you start working for Apple, you are eligible for a 25 percent discount on one of their computers, in addition to other discounts throughout your tenure. At Dropbox, you can customize your computer, and at Automattic, you receive $2,000 to build your home office. (via Business Insider, image via Gotta Be Mobile)
Which of these perks do you think is the craziest? What kinds of perks do you have at your job? Tell us in the comments!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)