10 Perfectly Pretty Topknots Just in Time for Summer
Okay, we’ll admit it. We have thrown our unwashed, un-brushed, knotty hair into a topknot on mornings when our alarms have gotten the better of us. Or maybe it was laziness or maybe it was our subconscious trying to tell us to pursue a childhood dream of being a ballerina. Either way, why (k)not? They’re just SO easy! A little dry shampoo and some cute bobby pins, and we can rock second (fourth?!) day hair. Topknots are undoubtedly chic and here to stay… not to mention, nothing says “I totally have my life together” than a modish bun! Here are 10 of our favorite ways to shake up the look.
1. Classic Topknot : Ooh-la-la! Follow this tutorial and look absolutely French! A classic topknot is a great way to transform frizzy hair into a perfect going out look. We recommend rocking red lips to complete the Parisian vibe! (via Cup of Jo)
2. Party Bun: This topknot is perfect for that coveted bash! The teased hair gives off an “I spent hours on my hair” look, and with your hair out of the way, you might just become the life of the party. (via The Beauty Department)
3. Cotton Candy Bun: You’ll definitely be the talk of the carnival with this adorable hairstyle! The first thing we will be doing after mastering this bun is getting real cotton candy to match our hair, duh! (via Vanilla Extract)
6. Dutch Braided Topknot: In the world of hair, this bun is magical, and while a magician never reveals their secrets, luckily this tutorial does. Follow closely to astonish your friends with your tricks. (via Twisted Me Pretty)
7. Ballerina Bun: Lauren Conrad shows us how to perfect the ballerina bun in her video tutorial. Don’t worry if you can’t quite demonstrate that perfect plié or arabesque, at least your hair knows how to steal the show. (via The Beauty Department)
8. Curly Bun: Curly haired gals can jump on this bandwagon with a topknot video tutorial featuring springy spirals! We particularly love this hairstyle because it looks perfect for errands on Saturday mornings straight to a girl’s night out. (via Un’ruly)
10. Braided Band Topknot: This topknot is beyond perfect for those beautiful summer weddings that are unfortunately scheduled during the scalding heat. With your hair off your shoulders you can show off your snazzy dress and even snazzier dance moves.
Which topknot totally tantalizes you? Make sure to comment below and share your tips for the perfect bun!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)