The 25 Best Christmas Tree Topper Ideas You Can Buy or DIY
We’ve shown you ways to amp up your Christmas tree with awesomely modern and easy DIY ornaments, but we all know that no tree is complete without a topper. Come on, if you use cake toppers and gift toppers, then there’s no way you can skip it on the ultimate piece of holiday decor. Check out these 28 spectacular tree toppers that you can buy and DIY.
1. Anthropologie Tassle Ferris Wheel Tree Topper ($42): Top your Christmas tree with one of the best rides EVER.
2. Mirrored Star Tree Topper ($59): Add super shine to the top of your tree with this blingin’ tree topper!
3. JRayOriginals Super Mario Bros. Power Star Christmas Tree Topper ($50): Perfect for any nerd-friendly home.
4. LED Color-Changing Tree Topper ($43): This eight-pointed star gets its technicolor glow from multi-colored LED lights. A high-tech tree topper? Sign us up.
5. DIY Monogram Tree Topper: You know we can’t get enough of monograms and marquees, so we’re naturally obsessed with this tree topper. The candy cane stripes add some seriously festive flair. (via Brit + Co)
6. Lauren Aston Designs Chunky Knit Santa Tree Topper ($27): You could try to DIY this tree topper, but if you’re not a knitting princess, just grab a pre-made one.
7. Crown Tree Topper ($48): Show your tree the royal treatment with this glittery crown topper. It can also double as a playful headpiece for whoever gives the best gift on Christmas day!
8. Reindeer Tree Topper ($40): This tree topper will definitely be the center of attention on top of your tree. About the size of a real small deer it will bring the spirit to any room!
9. Elf Logic Moravian Star Tree Topper ($20): This origami-inspired snowflake is so sophisticated. We’re loving its North Star vibes, which would look spectacular on nearly any tree.
10. Large Gold Bow Tree Topper ($12): For the part of you that wants to be just a little extra, this four-foot long gold bow tree topper is for you!
11. ScreenDoorGrilles Kitty Kat Christmas Tree Topper ($48): For all the cat ladies.
12. DIY Rustic Christmas Tree Topper: Remember to save an empty wrapping paper roll for this DIY tree topper. This glittery project would be the perfect way to get the kiddos involved in the tree trimming. (via …love Maegan)
13. Pottery Barn Lit Birch Angel Tree Topper ($69): Now this is stunning! While it boasts an unmistakably classic angel shape, its birch material and added sparkle add a nice modern twist.
14. AntoAnts Believe Christmas Tree Topper ($30): While we love this inspiring tree topper, the Etsy seller also accepts custom requests for messages and colors. So if you want “YOLO” on the top of your tree, you can make that happen.
15. DIY Glitter Paper Tree Topper: You had us at “glitter paper!” We love that you don’t have to get your hands super dirty (read: sparkly) with this DIY tree topper while still giving it the ultimate glitz. (via Hello Lidy)
16. Meandshestudios Star Tree Topper ($40): Smitten with all things geo? Yeah, us too. So we’re crushing hard on this amazing geometric-inspired star tree topper. Plus, this sculptural accessory can easily be repurposed into your table decor after the tree gets tossed.
17. DIY Spectacular Starburst Tree Topper: Okay, back to all things glittery. This impressive starburst tree topper is actually super easy to make. We have three words for you: silver pipe cleaners! (via …love Maegan)
18. DIY Felt Star Pendant and Tree Topper: While you don’t need to be a master seamstress to complete this pendant-like tree topper, you will need ace folding and pinning skills, a smidge of dexterity, and a chunk of time. The result, as you can see, is totally worth the effort. (via Purl Soho)
19. Kurt Adler Champagne Gold Tree Topper ($14): This super sparkly star follows our number-one holiday style tip: Go for the glitter!
20. DIY Pom-Pom Tree Topper: Cover a styrofoam ball with tons of colorful pom-poms to get this cute ‘n’ cozy look. Just don’t forget to leave a hole big enough for the top of the tree to easily fit. (via Sugar and Cloth)
22. DIY Beaded Star Tree Topper: Though this tutorial calls for handmade beads, you can always opt for store-bought ones if you’re running short on time. Once you’ve threaded your beads onto your wire, shape it into a star, twist the ends together, and voila! It’s as simple as that! (via Fall for DIY)
23. Star Wars Yoda LED Tree Topper ($47): May your love for Star Wars translate into your holiday decor.
24. DIY Giant Bow Christmas Tree Topper: This DIY bow topper looks super pro! We love the way that gently bent cardstock and a gold center amp up your average red Christmas bow. (via Studio DIY)
25. DIY Double-Sided Lighted Tree Topper: We’re not gonna lie; we’re totally obsessed with this topper that’s the perfect mix of craft and tech. Not only do we love that it’s painted with chalkboard paint — so you can leave a thank you message to Santa, of course! — but it’s trimmed with LED-ified tinsel. So cool! (via My So Called Crafty Life)
Do you buy or DIY your tree toppers? Have we missed any cool tree toppers? Follow us on Pinterest for more holiday must-haves!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Additional reporting by Grace Lee.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)