10 Picture Books to Cute Up Your Kids’ Valentine’s Day
You’re never too young to get in the spirit for Valentine’s Day, and you’re never too old to love a good picture book. Whether you’re going to read these books to your own kids, kids you teach, a fellow adult or even just enjoy it by yourself, this list of books features some truly adorable Valentine’s Day-themed stories. Want something silly? You got it. Want something romantic? You’re welcome. Snag them all for the best V-Day collection out there.
1. Hug ($7) There are hardly any words in this book, and it hardly matters. It’s still so adorable that it will just melt your heart. When this little monkey finds his mama, there’s not a dry eye in the house.
2. Shark Kiss, Octopus Hug ($15): Just because you’ve got a mouth full of terrifying teeth, or eight smothering tentacles, doesn’t mean you don’t deserve a hug and a kiss. This one’s perfect for the kid who likes a little silly with their story.
3. Bear in Love ($16): Someone is leaving presents for the bear… but who? This charming little mystery is all about unexpected kindness. And isn’t that what Valentine’s Day is all about?
4. Zombie in Love ($15): Mortimer the zombie is lookin’ for love in all the wrong places. Illustrated by Pixar artist Scott Campbell, this cleverly narrated book is the perfect reminder that there’s a pot for every lid.
5. Henry in Love ($17): One of the most genuine representations of what young love is like, this book will tug at your heart strings. When Henry sees the object of his affection, he sees her in a field of bluebells, and he even shares his muffin. Now that’s love.
7. Shrek ($7): That’s right. Shrek was a book first — a book about an ogre finding and falling in love with a monster. As William Steig wrote: “These two belonged together,” like Morticia and Gomez Addams.
8. Counting Kisses ($17): Love is a thing we all share, and this book illustrates that in a way that kids will really understand. Following acts of affection all across the nation, this book will change the way you and your tots look at blowing kisses forever.
9. Love Monster ($17): It’s tough to be a monster in Cutesville. But it’s even harder to be a monster looking for love. Readers will be almost as delighted as Monster is when he finds love in the most unusual place.
10. Hug Machine ($17): You could buy this book for Valentine’s Day, or you could just buy it because it’s so flippin’ cute that it tears the space-time continuum. This little boy is a HUG machine. But who will hug the hug machine?
What’s your favorite love story? Tell us in the comments below!