25 Things to Pack for the Ultimate Active Getaway
The calendar says it’s officially spring, and while the warmer weather hasn’t quite unfolded just yet (sorry, New England), we’re already dreaming of hitting the beach on seaside getaways. Soaking up the sun with your toes in the sand (sharp new swimsuit and coverup in tow) is a killer way to pass that much-needed “me” time, but kickin’ back isn’t the only way to spend your holiday. If you’re the adventure-seeking type and love to get a move on, vacay might look a lot more like yoga retreats, paddleboard excursions and all-day treks — all of which require gear that goes beyond colorful sunglasses and your spring capsule wardrobe essentials. From long walks along the beach to booty bootcamp in the sand, we have your must-pack list covered with 25 multipurpose pieces that will help you get the most out of your getaway wardrobe. Scroll on for cute sports bras, OMG-worthy swimsuits and stylish separates that can hack it anytime, anywhere.
1. Zara Overalls ($40): A jumpsuit that slays on the streets and in the studio? Don’t mind if we do. Slip it on with a pair of Stan Smiths and an architectural outer layer for a casual morning run and coffee, then head straight to yoga on the beach in the afternoon, no costume change necessary.
2. Athletic Propulsion Labs TechLoom Pro Mesh Sneakers ($140): Whether you’re blazing trails or scoping out the city center, these sunny yellow sneakers will inspire you to hop out of the hammock and get moving.
3. Jaded London High Neck Mesh Insert Swimsuit ($78): When waterfront sports are on the agenda, a one-piece swimsuit will never do you wrong. Mesh panels allow you to breathe easy while you set and serve, while color-block panels bring their A game to your R&R repertoire. Up the ante with a sleek braided ponytail and coverup that reads athleisure chic.
4. Jala Clothing SUP Ladder Sports Bra ($68): Channel your inner Olympian — and look street-style ready while doing it — with this marble sports bra from Jala Clothing. Providing you with comfort, support and mad style, this one-piece will take you from grueling workouts to after-dinner drinks (because, yup, it makes a bomb crop top too).
5. ADAY Short but Shiny Shorts ($65): Enter the workin’-on-your-fitness shorts you’ll be living in all week long (and beyond). The standout piece will take you from rock climbing to downward dogging to rooftop dancing, all with a few simple footwear switcheroos. It’s that simple.
6. Avenue Dee Palm Leaves Fanny Pack ($34): If you’ve been looking for the perfect excuse to whip out a
fanny pack *ahem* belt bag, consider a wellness or fitness retreat (or any active holiday away). The hands-free was made for 10K runs and trail rides. And that palm print? Girllll, we can’t even.
7. ASOS Tab Side Maxi Dress in Block Print ($52): Sassy coverup or laid-back evening ensemble with artsy appeal: You decide. No matter which way you swing it, this graphic maxi will make you stand out for all the right reasons. Slip it on with clogs and an understated choker for max perfection.
8. S’well 25 oz Water Bottle ($45): Hydration is SO. KEY. when you’re busting a move, especially in the heat. Plastic bottles are boring and environmentally unfriendly, so instead pack this reusable number that’s as stylish as the duds you dominate the court in on the daily.
9. FP Movement Monument Leotard ($78): Bare a little midriff — and maybe a little leg — with this bombshell bodysuit that deserves a spot in barre class as much as it does on a seaside dinner date. Messy topknots and a keen sense of confidence are obligatory.
10. ASOS Shower Proof Camo Print Pac Away Trench ($23): Not even a spring shower can stop you from workin’ on your fitness, and trust us — with this watercolor stunner on standby, you’ll be welcoming the rain with open arms.
11. Captain Blankenship Lime & Vetiver Cream Deodorant ($14): Breakin’ a sweat is a given when you’re on the go, so taking along deodorant is a necessity. Go au natural to keep pits happy with this organic cream jam-packed with coconut oil, lemongrass and baking soda that will leave your skin moisturized and feeling fresh. Don’t let the organic bit put you off — this stuff isn’t messing around.
12. Zara Sweatshirt With Front Knot ($26): Warm-ups, cooldowns and beyond — this knotted number has athleisure on lock. Wear it while you get your Om on or for a night out on the town — just slip on a pleated midi skirt and berry lipstick.
13. The Style Club Babe Denim Baseball Hat ($32): Babe alert! This cheeky denim cap was made to be seen, so whether you’re kayaking through sea caves or kickin’ back on the beach with a favorite read, DO take it along for the ride.
14. Married to the Mob Kiki Crystal Pink Sunglasses ($75): Even colorphobes won’t be able to resist these red-hot sunnies. The artsy wayfarer-esque shades are the secret to accessorizing like a pro and making a palette of neutral hues seriously pop. Wear them with all-white ensembles and a fiery mani.
15. Poketo Bucket Bag ($88): From carry-on to workout carryall, this two-in-one number does it all. Stepping in for your standard gym tote, this sturdy canvas bucket bag is perfect inflight and will kick your post-workout style into high gear too.
16. Talula Los Feliz Pants ($65): Not just restricted to the gym, these chambray joggers will do anything but cramp your style. Throw ’em on to transit to class or dress up the no-fuss fabric with lace-up booties and a silk cami top.
17. Teva Original Universal Marbled Coral Flat Sandals ($57): Ugly-pretty never looked so good. Usher in those warm-weather vibes with classic Tevas that will inspire you to bust out the bikini and head straight to the shore for waterfront picnics and lots of exploring.
18. ADAY Crash Cause Top ($75): Workout wear you can wear anytime? Yes, please. Swap out classic cotton tees for something with a bit more personality and panache, as in this scuba-inspired boxy tee that will motivate you to make a move on the regular. Pair it with bright workout pants, or turn the style factor up a notch with a printed pencil skirt and metallic flatform wedges.
19. Fitbit Alta ($130): Motivation is your best accessory, and this streamlined fitness tracker is proof. Even if you plan on laying low all week long, the handy exercise reminders will keep your get-fit game going strong.
20. Future State Gym Rat Ringer Tank Top ($34): This relaxed, borrowed-from-the-boys tank is the epitome of sports chic and perfect for showing off your cutest sports bra. Get ready for it to dominate your off-duty rotation — whether you wear it with cropped flares or running shorts.
21. A Peace Treaty Noura Scarf ($128): As if there was any doubt — a printed scarf is a vacay (and everyday) essential. Rock it as a sarong as you head to SUP class, or style it alongside a lightweight summer dress for al fresco soirees under the stars.
22. ASOS Linen Check Culottes With Tie ($60): Leave your favorite pair of denims at home, and take along these linen culottes on your next holiday. The trend-right silhouette will set your just-chillin’ style ahead of the sartorial curve, while the lightweight fabric is so ready for impromptu beach volleyball matches and leisurely bike rides.
23. H&M Jersey Camisole Top ($10): Because you’re all about double-duty duds, this crisscross cami should definitely be on your radar. For only a tenner, its effortless appeal is fit for a round of ultimate frisbee, hiking and even gallery hopping, if you play your cards right.
24. Nasty Gal Satin Lover Bomber Jacket ($78): Even if you won’t be bringing home the gold, a silky bomber will make you feel like a champion. Whether you toss it over a bikini or pair it with a midi dress, the styling possibilities are endless.
25. Topshop Modern Stripe Tee Dress ($100): Give your high performance leggings a rest by taking this sporty striped dress out for a spin. The vibrant colors and stretch fabric are guaranteed to get you in gear. High-top kicks and sleek silver cuffs are highly encouraged.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.