Boost Your Productivity With 12 Google Homepage Alternatives
There’s no place like home… unless your Internet homepage loads directly to Google. When it comes to your default homepage, there’s a lot more out there than your standard ol’ search engine. We’re unloading some awesome alternatives that go beyond Google and aim to simplify, motivate and jump start your day each time you go online. You won’t have to click your mouse three times — all it takes is a few tweaks in your browser settings.
1. For Goal Seekers: If you want to get personal, get Momentum. This dashboard is all about eliminating distraction by putting all the focus on you. Forget having Facebook, Twitter and time-sucking apps right at your fingertips. Instead, use Momentum to fill your homepage with your personal goals, inspo, positivity, motivation, to-dos and daily goals. (Free on Chrome)
2. For The Collaborator: Start your day your way with Start.me, the homepage that’s all about personalization. Organize all of your favorite websites, feeds, notes, to-dos and social updates. Everything is safely stored in the cloud, so you can access your info on any device. Start.me is great for co-workers, teams and friends too, as you can share and collaborate with dashboards. (Free on Chrome)
3. For Minimalists: Currently is after the hearts of minimalists everywhere. If you’re a fan of simplicity and flat design, get this homepage. By automatically pinpointing your locale, Currently displays weather conditions and the current time — that’s it. (Free on Chrome)
4. For Procrastinators: Procrastinate much? With Motivation ticking your life away, you may just find yourself wasting less time on what’s not important. This simple, clean and slightly grim homepage displays a clock that constantly ticks away your age. (Free on Chrome)
5. For List Lovers: For personal or team use, Dayboard is your homepage for getting things done. Dayboard keeps you focused on five primary tasks that you need to complete that day and reminds you to do them each time you open your homepage. Reset your to-do list each day and stay motivated with Dayboard’s graph, which tracks your task history. (Free on Chrome)
6. For Time Managers: Having trouble managing your time? Limitless is your saving grace for amping up your productivity and managing your time smarter. Need a little nudge making your dreams come true? Limitless tracks your goals and motivates you to focus on your objectives with inspiring images and positive quotes. (Free on Chrome)
8. For Instant Access: They don’t call it Lightning Newtab for nothing. This homepage, based on HTML5, opens tabs, bookmarks and favorites lickety-split. Choose from thousands of wallpapers to personalize your background whenever you want, and select from four different interface layout options; whatever suits your fancy. (Free on Chrome)
9. For Savvy Readers: With Feedly, you can curate your very own page filled with all the things you love to read from newspapers, magazines, websites and blogs. You’ll be able to share the stories you read with friends via Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, Buffer, OneNote, Pinterest and LinkedIn. (Free on IOS, Android and Chrome)
10. For the Traveler: World explorers, Traveler is your homepage. Venture to a new destination each time you open your Internet browser. Beautiful images from around the globe will fill your homepage, along with useful info like the local time, weather and links to your most visited websites. (Free on Chrome)
11. For Power Users: Created by Opera, Vivaldi is a modern, flat design featuring the ability to take notes, email, use keyboard shortcuts and even change the look of a webpage with page actions. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux, Vivaldi is still in its early days, but you can download a tech preview and give your input. (Free from Vivaldi)
12. For PC Lovers: Microsoft has been buzzing in the news headlines with their announcement of Project Spartan, a code name for a new Internet browser they have in the works, designed to go along with the new Windows 10. The new browser is said to be loaded with features like a built-in notebook and a way to strip webpages down to text only. Keep your eyes open for the unveiling of Microsoft’s new browser. (via MSDN)
What is your “no place like home” homepage set to? Let us know in the comments below.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.