How to DIY the Top Hollywood Beauty Moments of 2014
Drumroll please! The Hollywood Reporter just released its list of the year’s top Tinsel Town beauty moments, ranking hair and makeup looks from just about every red carpet-worthy event in 2014. That’s a ton of premiere, award show and gala styling to sort through — not to mention all the notable looks from films, TV series and music videos themselves. There was a lot of swooning to be had, but THR‘s sartorial sleuths were able to narrow it down to 25 iconic looks both from on-and off-screen. Of those majorly Pinnable styles, including Angelina Jolie’s villainous red scowl in Maleficent and Blake Lively’s Rapunzel-esque rope braid at the Cannes Film Festival, we rounded up the most DIYable below in a post you should consider your official holiday beauty cheat sheet. Scroll through for our favorite Hollywood beauty moments of 2014 and the tutorials that can help you look like an A-lister all season long.
1. Emma’s Wavy Bob aka the Most Covetable Cut of 2014: Emma’s hair has always been on point (yep, even the time she went blonde), and although we can swoon over her current rusty color on any day, we all but ran to our hair stylists with a picture of Emma’s blunt bob in tow when she debuted the shorter ‘do at the Birdman premier in August. Styled with messy waves that mussed up her cut to #wokeuplikethis perfection, it takes the cake for our most covetable cut of 2014 (Lauren Conrad’s chop is a very close second). Once your hair’s no longer down to there, add the kinked-up curls with a thick curling iron curling away from your face, then brush it out to achieve the textured look. (tutorial via Brit + Co)
2. Lupita Nyong’o’s Berrylicious Lips: The Oscar winner and off-screen It Girl wore a vampy plumb lip to the Producers Guild of America Awards in January — one of many fashion-forward beauty looks that no doubt landed her the lauded gig as a Lancôme ambassador, and the one that had us fangirls itching to try the daring color ourselves. Keep it glamorous like Lupita with a wine-tinged berry lip hue ($23) perfect for a formal fête, or turn it up with a high-voltage purple ($10) made for a fun night out. (tutorial via Brit + Co)
3. Blake Lively’s Pretty Messy Rope Braid: Baking, style, pregnancy announcement — whatever it is, Blake Lively can do no wrong, which she proved once again when the actress-turned-lifestyle guru stepped out at the Cannes Film Festival in May with not one, but three show-stopping hairdos, a trio The Hollywood Reporter crowned the top beauty look(s) of 2014. And lucky for us, our favorite of the “glam slam” — the rope braid — doesn’t take a team of stylists to get right. Just remember these simple steps: split, twist and turn. (tutorial via Deb Shops)
4. Keira Knightley’s Smokey Cat Eye: Keira is one of Hollywood’s leading ladies who can nail a feminine makeup look time and time again. At The Imitation Game premiere at Toronto Film Festival in September, that boiled down to a smokey cat eye that struck a perfect balance between flirty and seriously smoldering. Once you’ve got your cat eye in the bag, build a similarly hazy look with a smokey base that will complement your eye shape. (tutorials via Brit + Co)
5. Diane Kruger’s Braid in Braid: You don’t even have to see this celeb’s face to know that this starlet is Diane Kruger — that’s just how good this braid-in-braid hairstyle is. The daring red carpet look Diane wore to FX’s The Bridge season two premiere in July was an elaborately sectioned style that stood up to her just-as intricate dress, but it’s actually one that plaiting pros should have no trouble pulling off — just tightly French braid the center section of the back of your head before pulling the sides into a low, loose braid. If that sounds easier said than done, try the technique on your sides first for an equally red carpet-worthy look. (tutorial via Brit + Co)
6. Gwen Stefani’s Hair Because: When have Gwen’s beauty risks not skipped straight to the top of your list of hair trends to try (from hot pink hair to raver buns, we’ve wanted them all!)? And even now as a coach on NBC’s The Voice, Gwen still showcases her affinity for ever-changing hair week in and week out, including a straight and sleek side-sweep held in place with too-cute bobby pins — a put-together look you can recreate on the daily. One up Gwen at her own game by placing your pins into eye-catching designs that transform your ‘do from solid to hella good. (tutorial via Brit + Co)
7. Angelina Jolie’s Maleficent Red Lips: Just when we thought Angelina Jolie couldn’t get any more badass, the actress/director/humanitarian/mother/wife brings one of the most evil Disney villains to life, and does it in the most glam way possible. Eschewing the purple and green eyeshadow made famous by the animation, Jolie put her stamp on the horned sorceress by rocking a red lip so covetable it warranted its own lipstick shade in a movie-themed makeup collaboration with MAC. While the hue is sold out, there are plenty of spellbinding reds to choose from — and they’ll all will work with your skin tone, we promise. (tutorial via Brit + Co)
8. Cate Blanchett’s Faux Bob: Even if you can’t bring yourself to chop your hair, there is a way to get in on the bob trend with a faux bob. Cate Blanchett displayed the hair hack flawlessly at the Golden Globe Awards in January, pairing her swept up tresses with a delicate side part that mixed the volume of Old Hollywood glamour with sleek, modern curls. Get the long-to-short look by tucking a loose, curled ponytail up to the nape of your neck and securing with bobby pins and hairspray. (tutorial via Brit + Co)
What were your favorite pop culture beauty moments of 2014? Tell us about your celeb beauty crushes in the comments below.
(h/t + Images Hollywood Reporter)