15 Desserts You Won’t Believe Are Made With Chickpeas
When you think dessert, chickpea isn’t the main ingredient that usually comes to mind. Believe it or not, chickpeas are way more versatile than a salad addition or a base to hummus: They are actually a great substitute for flour in many dessert recipes. Full of protein, fiber, folic acid and manganese, chickpeas are a nutritional powerhouse. Plus, this pantry staple is low-glycemic and gluten-free! Grab a couple extra cans next time you’re at the grocery store (or better yet, make your own!) and get cooking ASAP.
2. Chickpea Flour Thin Mints: It’s not Girl Scout cookie season anymore, but does anything say summer more than mint? Recreate your favorite thin mints with chickpea flour for a nut-free, grain-free vegan take on a typically not-so-healthy indulgence. (via Oatmeal With a Fork)
3. Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies: Fool everyone at the office potluck and show up traditional brownies with this healthier version. These blondies sub in bananas for sugar and chickpeas for flour in this gluten-free and just-as-delicious treat. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
6. Gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Make girl’s night a little healthier with this version of everyone’s favorite cookie. These bad boys are grain-free, refined-sugar-free and… you guessed it, full of fiber and protein from the chickpeas and peanut butter. (via Lucky Penny Blog)
7. Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Chickpea Blondies With Maple Glaze: You’ll be counting down the days to winter just for an excuse to make these holiday-inspired blondies. Chickpeas help lower your blood sugar, and these are free of the refined sugar that elevates it. (via Hummusapien)
9. Peanut Butter + Jelly Cookie Bars: Don’t let giving up refined flours stop you from enjoying a childhood staple. These bars make a great hiking snack that will motivate you to get outside this summer! (via The Honour System)
10. Chickpea Cookie Dough Truffles: Curb that late-night cookie dough craving with chickpeas. In less than five minutes, you can whip up a batch of healthy yet still decadent truffles with the humble legume. Keep these in the freezer for easy snacking. (via The Nutritious Kitchen)
13. Strawberry and White Chocolate Muffins: Be the star of your summer brunch when you bring along these muffins. They are the perfect gluten-free way to use up your summer produce. (via A Tasty Love Story)
14. Dark Chocolate Chickpea Brownies: No one will guess that these brownies are not only grain-free and vegan, but positively delicious as well. Pair these with your favorite banana ice cream or coconut-milk-based ice cream for a healthy sundae night. (via The Roasted Root)
Do you ever make desserts out of chickpeas? Leave us your favorite chickpea-based treats below!