When you think dessert, chickpea isn’t the main ingredient that usually comes to mind. Believe it or not, chickpeas are way more versatile than a salad addition or a base to hummus: They are actually a great substitute for flour in many dessert recipes. Full of protein, fiber, folic acid and manganese, chickpeas are a nutritional powerhouse. Plus, this pantry staple is low-glycemic and gluten-free! Grab a couple extra cans next time you’re at the grocery store (or better yet, make your own!) and get cooking ASAP.
2. Chickpea Flour Thin Mints: It’s not Girl Scout cookie season anymore, but does anything say summer more than mint? Recreate your favorite thin mints with chickpea flour for a nut-free, grain-free vegan take on a typically not-so-healthy indulgence. (via Oatmeal With a Fork)
3. Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies: Fool everyone at the office potluck and show up traditional brownies with this healthier version. These blondies sub in bananas for sugar and chickpeas for flour in this gluten-free and just-as-delicious treat. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
6. Gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Make girl’s night a little healthier with this version of everyone’s favorite cookie. These bad boys are grain-free, refined-sugar-free and… you guessed it, full of fiber and protein from the chickpeas and peanut butter. (via Lucky Penny Blog)
7. Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Chickpea Blondies With Maple Glaze: You’ll be counting down the days to winter just for an excuse to make these holiday-inspired blondies. Chickpeas help lower your blood sugar, and these are free of the refined sugar that elevates it. (via Hummusapien)
9. Peanut Butter + Jelly Cookie Bars: Don’t let giving up refined flours stop you from enjoying a childhood staple. These bars make a great hiking snack that will motivate you to get outside this summer! (via The Honour System)
10. Chickpea Cookie Dough Truffles: Curb that late-night cookie dough craving with chickpeas. In less than five minutes, you can whip up a batch of healthy yet still decadent truffles with the humble legume. Keep these in the freezer for easy snacking. (via The Nutritious Kitchen)
13. Strawberry and White Chocolate Muffins: Be the star of your summer brunch when you bring along these muffins. They are the perfect gluten-free way to use up your summer produce. (via A Tasty Love Story)
14. Dark Chocolate Chickpea Brownies: No one will guess that these brownies are not only grain-free and vegan, but positively delicious as well. Pair these with your favorite banana ice cream or coconut-milk-based ice cream for a healthy sundae night. (via The Roasted Root)
Do you ever make desserts out of chickpeas? Leave us your favorite chickpea-based treats below!