The Top 15 Flavors + Foods to Look for in 2015
We’re already a month into 2015, and the food fads and flavors of the year are really coming into focus. One of the trends we’re happy to see across several categories is healthy snacking. Whether you prefer off-the-rack or homemade options, it’s never been easier to satisfy your munchies. As for everything else, well, there are a lot of familiar things hitting it big, but they turn the tables on convention when it comes to how and when they’re being used. Get ready to have your mind blown — after all, what’s not to love about a good hack? You’ll definitely want to keep these 15 flavors in mind for your next grocery run!
1. Vanilla Bean: “Plain vanilla” is no longer synonymous with basic in 2015. You’ll find vanilla beans coming out of their shells — well, pods — in all kinds of sweets, like our Rhubarb Strawberry Vanilla Panna Cotta, and even in cheese. (via Brit + Co)
2. Lentils: We’ve bean there, done that when it comes to a lot of legumes, so it’s nice to see lentils getting their time in the spotlight. Look for a wide variety of chips and other snacks made with these petite nutritional powerhouses on store shelves near you, or make yourself some goodies at home. How about a little Poppadom-crusted Asian Style Baked Tofu action? (via The Cupcake Confession)
3. Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup has been the refined-sugar-free darling of the paleo world since
prehistoric times the start of the diet, and it’s still going strong. But now sappy-ness is going mainstream, adding its distinct-yet-complementary flavor to more than our weekend short stacks. Case in point — these Maple Bourbon Caramels. (via Tutti Dolce)
4. Garbanzo Beans: Chickpeas are making it out of the bowlful of hummus in a big way. You’ll love their satisfying crunch when roasted, whether it’s munching on ’em solo, sprinkling them atop a salad in lieu of croutons or just going nuts with these vegan Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. (via The Whinery)
5. Powdered Peanut Butter: Powdered peanut butter is a great way to add a concentrated nutty flavor to baked goods and smoothies, all while lowering the fat and calorie count (versus the spoonable stuff) at the same time. Not sure where to start sprinkling? Go straight for these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. (via The Spiced Life)
6. Seaweed: Enjoy seaweed in between trips to the sushi bar by nibbling on crispy nori sheets as a snack or sprinkling flakes over popcorn and more for a unique, salty seasoning. If you want to get super serious with the stuff, check out this recipe for Furikake Kettle Corn. (via Heo Yeah Yum)
7. Turmeric: Turmeric — ginger’s reddish rhizome relative — and Southeast Asian flavors from India to Thailand will exhilarate your palate and perhaps inspire your inner jet setter at the same time. Raise your glass to a mouthful of Fresh Turmeric Tonic every loving morning. (via Feasting at Home)
9. All Things Breakfast: Breakfast foods know no bounds in 2015; serve up the most important meal of the day no matter what time it is in the form of this paleo Chorizo and Poblano Breakfast Skillet. (via The Paleo Fix)
10. Matcha Powder: Even if you don’t live in Washington or Colorado, you can still add a little greenery to your desserts — in the form of matcha powder, of course. It lends a mellow caffeine boost, subtle green tea flavor and gorgeous hue to everything it graces, including scoops and scooops of Green Tea Ice Cream. (via The Farmer’s Daughter)
11. Sriracha: Sriracha may have had a little bit of a hiccup a couple years ago, but it’s back and bigger than ever, and we’re dipping all of our Crispy Smashed Potato Bites into the stuff. (via No Spoon Necessary)
12. Cheese: There’s never been a better time to be a fromage fanatic. It won’t be hard to get your fill of cheese and cheese-flavored products in ’15. So the next time you’re thinking outside of the blue box, make sure you go for this triple threat, known as Three Cheese Bacon Mac and Cheese. (via Living Better Together)
13. Coconut: Sorry, Nutella, we’ve got a new nutty love in our lives: coconut. Savory Coconut Flakes made from shreds of its meat are so delicious that we won’t even mind if you call us flaky for eating them by the handfuls. (via Our Paleo Life)
14. Healthy Grain Cereals: Healthy cereals, like puffed quinoa and other grains, are giving the super sugary stuff a run for its money. The best part: They go from the cereal bowl to the mixing bowl with ease, as exhibited by these Quinoa and Cacao Crispy Treats. (via Deliciously Yella)
Which of these trends are you looking forward to trying out? Share your faves with us below!
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.