The Top 15 Flavors + Foods to Look for in 2015
We’re already a month into 2015, and the food fads and flavors of the year are really coming into focus. One of the trends we’re happy to see across several categories is healthy snacking. Whether you prefer off-the-rack or homemade options, it’s never been easier to satisfy your munchies. As for everything else, well, there are a lot of familiar things hitting it big, but they turn the tables on convention when it comes to how and when they’re being used. Get ready to have your mind blown — after all, what’s not to love about a good hack? You’ll definitely want to keep these 15 flavors in mind for your next grocery run!
1. Vanilla Bean: “Plain vanilla” is no longer synonymous with basic in 2015. You’ll find vanilla beans coming out of their shells — well, pods — in all kinds of sweets, like our Rhubarb Strawberry Vanilla Panna Cotta, and even in cheese. (via Brit + Co)
2. Lentils: We’ve bean there, done that when it comes to a lot of legumes, so it’s nice to see lentils getting their time in the spotlight. Look for a wide variety of chips and other snacks made with these petite nutritional powerhouses on store shelves near you, or make yourself some goodies at home. How about a little Poppadom-crusted Asian Style Baked Tofu action? (via The Cupcake Confession)
3. Maple Syrup: Pure maple syrup has been the refined-sugar-free darling of the paleo world since
prehistoric times the start of the diet, and it’s still going strong. But now sappy-ness is going mainstream, adding its distinct-yet-complementary flavor to more than our weekend short stacks. Case in point — these Maple Bourbon Caramels. (via Tutti Dolce)
4. Garbanzo Beans: Chickpeas are making it out of the bowlful of hummus in a big way. You’ll love their satisfying crunch when roasted, whether it’s munching on ’em solo, sprinkling them atop a salad in lieu of croutons or just going nuts with these vegan Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. (via The Whinery)
5. Powdered Peanut Butter: Powdered peanut butter is a great way to add a concentrated nutty flavor to baked goods and smoothies, all while lowering the fat and calorie count (versus the spoonable stuff) at the same time. Not sure where to start sprinkling? Go straight for these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. (via The Spiced Life)
6. Seaweed: Enjoy seaweed in between trips to the sushi bar by nibbling on crispy nori sheets as a snack or sprinkling flakes over popcorn and more for a unique, salty seasoning. If you want to get super serious with the stuff, check out this recipe for Furikake Kettle Corn. (via Heo Yeah Yum)
7. Turmeric: Turmeric — ginger’s reddish rhizome relative — and Southeast Asian flavors from India to Thailand will exhilarate your palate and perhaps inspire your inner jet setter at the same time. Raise your glass to a mouthful of Fresh Turmeric Tonic every loving morning. (via Feasting at Home)
9. All Things Breakfast: Breakfast foods know no bounds in 2015; serve up the most important meal of the day no matter what time it is in the form of this paleo Chorizo and Poblano Breakfast Skillet. (via The Paleo Fix)
10. Matcha Powder: Even if you don’t live in Washington or Colorado, you can still add a little greenery to your desserts — in the form of matcha powder, of course. It lends a mellow caffeine boost, subtle green tea flavor and gorgeous hue to everything it graces, including scoops and scooops of Green Tea Ice Cream. (via The Farmer’s Daughter)
11. Sriracha: Sriracha may have had a little bit of a hiccup a couple years ago, but it’s back and bigger than ever, and we’re dipping all of our Crispy Smashed Potato Bites into the stuff. (via No Spoon Necessary)
12. Cheese: There’s never been a better time to be a fromage fanatic. It won’t be hard to get your fill of cheese and cheese-flavored products in ’15. So the next time you’re thinking outside of the blue box, make sure you go for this triple threat, known as Three Cheese Bacon Mac and Cheese. (via Living Better Together)
13. Coconut: Sorry, Nutella, we’ve got a new nutty love in our lives: coconut. Savory Coconut Flakes made from shreds of its meat are so delicious that we won’t even mind if you call us flaky for eating them by the handfuls. (via Our Paleo Life)
14. Healthy Grain Cereals: Healthy cereals, like puffed quinoa and other grains, are giving the super sugary stuff a run for its money. The best part: They go from the cereal bowl to the mixing bowl with ease, as exhibited by these Quinoa and Cacao Crispy Treats. (via Deliciously Yella)
Which of these trends are you looking forward to trying out? Share your faves with us below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.