9 Pantry Essentials to Keep Stocked for the Best Snow Day EVER
When the forecast is lookin’ like there’s a serious snow or rainstorm heading your way, stocking up the pantry is necessary… and not just for emergency purposes. To make the most of a day stuck inside the house, these nine staple ingredients are what we choose time and again. With 25 delicious ways to use ’em, you’ll have one legendary day off in the works. Just add friends and some board games for a few layers of extra fun.
1. Harissa Roasted Roots with Crispy Chickpeas + Herby Millet Pilaf: Save a few carrots from snowman making to cook a hearty, whole grain meal that’s totally hot (thanks, harissa). (via Happy Hearted Kitchen)
2. 7-Ingredient Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (Vegan, Gluten-Free): The usual baked potato gets glammed up with a hasselback-style sweet ‘tater that’s drizzled with luxe avocado-boosted aioli. (via Blissful Basil)
3. Savory Caramelized Onion Tarts: Sweet caramelized onions team up with bacon and cheese atop flaky squares of pastry to form these delicious nibbles. Enjoy them solo or with a steaming bowl of soup. (via The Beach House Kitchen)
6. Eggs Tomato Breakfast Skillet: As much as we love our omelets and frittatas, the balance of veggies to eggs to seasonings in this one-skillet meal can’t be beat. It’s kinda like breakfast soup. Mmmmm. (via Eatwell 101)
7. Caramelized Apple Dutch Baby Pancake: Who wants to stand next to a stove flipping pancakes on a cold day? Staying bundled up on the couch while this fluffy, sweet Dutch baby bakes sounds pretty sweet to us. (via The Corner Kitchen)
9. Gooey Butter Bars: Cake mix plus butter and an egg are the only ingredients needed to make these indulgent cookie bars. With five variations to choose from, there’s bound to be one that calls your name. (via Brit + Co)
12. Torta Caprese: Almond meal makes this chocolate cake less rich than most truffle-like flourless cakes out there, meaning you can enjoy more than a mere sliver without feeling guilty. (via Little Vienna)
17. Giant Melty Cookie: Top this oversized chocolate chip cookie with a few scoops of ice cream and get those spoons ready; this is definitely a dessert meant for sharing with those near and dear. (via Food52)
18. Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna: There’s nothing quite like lasagna or baked pastas of any kind on a cold day. Layered with tons of seasonal produce and a creamy, cheesy sauce, this one hits all the right notes. (via Vanilla and Bean)
19. Slow Cooker Cheesy Tortellini: This cheesy crock pot casserole is perfect whether you’re out of the house hiking, sledding or simply having fun playing board games on the couch. (via Damn Delicious)
21. One-Pot Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese: There’s just something so irresistible about homemade mac and cheese. We suspect that the whole pasta and cheese thing has something to do with it. (via Sweet Salty Tart)
23. Anadama Bread: There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked bread hot out of the oven. Enjoy still-warm slices of this molasses- and honey-sweetened loaf topped with jam, butter or simply au natural. (via Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes)
25. Caramel Banana Baked French Toast: Assembled the night before, this banana bread-esque French toast bakes up quickly enough that it can even be enjoyed the morning of a delayed-opening, if not a full-on snow day. (via How to Feed a Loon)
What are your key ingredients for an awesome day stuck inside the house? Share yours with us below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)