12 Healthy Recipes to Upgrade Old Fave Back-to-School Snacks
Is it just us or was the best time in school ALWAYS snack time? If we were lucky, we got to walk down the grocery store aisles with Mom or Dad and pick out our favorite snacks (aka Little Debbie Cakes), but if our parents had their way, it was usually a piece of fruit or cheese and crackers. Even though we don’t have a designated snack time now, between class, work, social obligations and everyday life, we need our snacks to power us through the day. See below for some of our favorite DIY snacks that you need to make right now.
1. No-Bake Chocolate Blueberry Bars: It’s still too hot to turn on the oven most days, so we’ve been snacking on these no-bake bars in between classes. Who knew blueberries and chocolate could be so delicious together? (via The Healthy Maven)
2. Homemade Raisin Newtons: You could buy Fig Newtons at the store… or you could use ingredients you already have on hand to make these Raisin Newton cookies. They’re super healthy with all-natural ingredients and fun to make too. (via The Lean Green Bean)
3. Nut + Oat Chewy Granola Bars: Granola bars are one of our favorite snacks, but many store-bought versions are filled with sugar and other preservatives. These delicious bars include chocolate chips, nuts and coconut, and are sweetened only with dates! (via Edible Perspective)
4. Granola-Crusted Walnuts and Pecans: We’re wondering where granola-covered nuts have been our entire life. You might want to hide the jar because once you start eating these you won’t be able to stop. (via Smitten Kitchen)
5. Grain-Free Trail Mix Blondies: Be the envy of your class when you pull out this delicious, grain-free bar to snack on. It’s made with dried fruit, nuts, honey and your favorite nut butter. (via Cotter Crunch)
6. Banana Bread Muffin Tops: The best part of the muffin is definitely the muffin top. These vegan muffin tops give you all the flavor of the muffin without having to scrub out the tins when you’re finished baking — win-win. (via Oh She Glows)
7. Buckwheat Zucchini Chia Muffins: Looking for a gluten-free and vegan muffin recipe? Look no further. These are stuffed with zucchini (yay, hidden veggies!), chocolate and the protein-packed superfood buckwheat. (via Clean Food Dirty City)
8. Quinoa Protein Brownie Bites: Sometimes it can be hard to find a delicious snack with a healthy serving of protein. These vegan bites are the perfect way to beat hunger between lunch and dinner, or after a tough workout. (via Running on Veggies)
9. Homemade Cheez-Its: Even though we’re fans of sweet snacks, savory ones have a place in our hearts too. This homemade version of one of our childhood favorites comes together in just under an hour with cheeses like gruyere and mozzarella — they’re a MAJOR upgrade from the original. (via Brit + Co)
10. Clumpy Banana and Almond Butter Granola With Cacao Nibs: Granola might just be the ultimate DIY snack. You can pretty much make any combination you can think of and it’s going to be delicious. This version uses just a little bit of maple syrup as a sweetener, making it a healthy snack any time of the day. (via Oh, Ladycakes)
11. Peanut Butter Protein Snack Mix: Can’t decide whether to have pretzels, popcorn or nuts for your afternoon snack? Have them all and a healthy dose of protein with this peanut butter-flavored snack mix. (via 24 Carrot Life)
12. Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Energy Bites: Here’s a gluten-free, vegan and salmonella-free way to enjoy cookie dough. These energy bites will keep you fuller longer and also offer a serious nutritional benefit from hemp and chia seeds. (via Almost Getting It Together)
What are your favorite DIY snacks to make? Leave us the recipe or link in the comments!