With summer just around the corner, there are a few projects you definitely need to check out before you hit the beach or start practicing your summer mixology. Start the weekend off right with a refreshing red velvet iced coffee and then get ready to add colorful flair to everything from your cut-off shorts to your tableware and your tote bag. Whether you’re vacationing and need some new flair for your beach bag or your staycationing and need a new lamp for your reading nook, we’ve got you covered. Here are 12 projects to tackle before Monday’s return and before the much-anticipated Memorial Day weekend finally gets here.
1. DIY Red Velvet Iced Coffee: The days of iced coffee everything are *finally* here, and you should celebrate in style with this tasty sweet treat. Red velvet means a rich chocolate base, a shot (or two!) of espresso and a luxe cream cheese whipped cream. Um, refills please? (via Brit + Co)
2. DIY Mini Wooden Serving Trays: The fab hexagon shape strikes again and for good reason: These mini color-dipped serving trays are going to take your summer entertaining to a whole new level of Insta-perfect. Spread some tropical love with plenty of bright colors and a beautiful cocktail to match. (via Sugar & Cloth)
3. DIY Tiered Tassels: You’re not going to need many materials for this project, but you definitely neeeeed these tiered tassels on every tote you’re totin’ this summer. From your grocery bag to your beach bag, these adorable tassels will have the compliments rollin’ in. (via Damask Love)
4. DIY Flair Patch Dress: Remember the Girl Scout days when every patch you collected was everything? Pick up a plain dress or revamp one you didn’t really wear last season with a whole slew of adorable and colorful patches. Hello personality, goodbye boring little summer dress. (via Brit + Co)
5. DIY Confetti Tray: This fantastically colorful tray is just what you need to make this weekend to beat those Monday blues. A tray is a handy organizational tool for any workspace, but you might decide your bar cart needs one of these confetti trays too. (via Delineate Your Dwelling)
6. DIY Gem Necklace: Boho style and statement crystals are going to be everywhere this summer, so make sure you’re ahead of the trend with your very own chunky necklace. Learn some simple soldering skills and take your jewelry-making to the next level. (via Brit + Co)
7. DIY Gold Foil Pillow: If you’ve fully embraced the gold decor trend, the finishing touch would be a set of these gold pillows on your couch. These would look great in a window where the natural light will really make them sparkle. (via A Beautiful Mess)
8. DIY Pastel Tassel Bag: Tassels take every bag from cute to super cute and all it takes is some time and a pile of embroidery thread. Depending on how big your tote bag is, this project might take some time, so start up the Netflix and start tasseling. (via I Spy DIY)
9. DIY Homemade Orange Bitters: If you’ve got a list of artisan cocktails you want to make this summer, you’ll want to have these fancy bitters on hand. It’s ridiculously easy to make your own bitters, but it does require a couple weeks to marinate, so get a batch started this weekend. Print off the cute labels and get ready to play mixologist. (via Lovely Indeed)
10. DIY Patriotic Shorts: Show your true colors this summer with a pair of seriously patriotic shoes and shorts. Paint stars on your sneakers and stripes on your shorts and rock those BBQs in style. (via Brit + Co)
11. DIY Fruit Wrapping Paper: The only thing better than finding the perfect gift is finding the perfect gift wrap. Skip the traditional bag and go for something totally fun like a gift pineapple or watermelon. (via The House That Lars Built)
12. DIY Unicorn Lamp: So what if you’re a twenty-something with roommates? Unicorns have no age limits… especially not gold unicorn lamps with killer pink hair. Hit up the Barbie section to find the perfect pony and put together this lamp with just a few other hardware pieces. (via Brit + Co)
Which DIY are you most excited to make this weekend? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!