With our 2014 makeup routines, we really went back to basics. After all, you can’t ace your favorite celeb’s multi-dimensional smokey eye before you know how to correctly smudge liner in the first place. And so the bulk of these 36 makeup tutorials act as stepping stones to putting your very *own* twists on classic beauty looks — ones the red carpet has yet to see — along with must-try hacks that will have you blotting, filling and blending like a pro in no time. That means the next time you want to master everyday office makeup, plump your lips for a party or completely transform your features for Halloween, be sure to brush up on all things 101 here first so you’re ready for the next-level looks we’ve got coming in 2015.
2. Tips for Acing Everyday Eye Makeup: It’s all about those zones — get well acquainted with the areas around your eye and the brushes you should use on them before you learn to DIY three weekday-ready looks. (via Brit + Co)
6. Tried + Tested: The ABCs of BB, CC + DD Creams: You’ve heard about them, but what’s all the buzz about? Find out everything you need to know about these all-in-one products that combine the powers of serum, primer, moisturizer, foundation, SPF and powder. (via Brit + Co)
8. How Red Lipsticks Will Look on Different Skin Tones: Nervous about how that orangey-red lipstick will look on your skin tone? Sneak a peek at how different shades look on for real girls before you splurge. (via Brit + Co)
11 Must-Have Makeup Products for a Completely Natural Look: Consider these seven makeup products your everyday essentials for creating a flawless base face. (via Brit + Co)
13. Lipstick Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know: There’s just a bit more to kissable lips than meets the eye. See three insanely clever lipstick hacks in action so you never leave for a date without a perfect pout. (via Brit + Co)
16. That’s Not Eyeliner — That Cat Eye Is Made from a Magazine: Take the cat eye to the next level by skipping the liner all together. Use patterns and graphics from a magazine for a makeup look unlike anything you’ve ever worn before. (via Brit + Co)
17. The Ultimate Way to Organize Your Makeup: Ever wish you could fit alllll of those compacts into just one totable case? This genius palette was made for that — just learn how to hack your makeup to fit. (via Brit + Co)
24. 5 Gold Makeup Looks to Bring Out Your Inner Goddess: Glow in gold from brow to lip with these five gilded makeup looks. (via Brit + Co)
DIY WEDDING MAKEUP
25. Dramatic Makeup Looks for Anyone in Your Bridal Party: Give your bridesmaids the makeover they really want with these head-turning beauty looks that won’t cost them a thing. (via Brit + Co)
26. How to DIY the 3 Most Requested Bridal Makeup Looks: Learn how to recreate the timeless “blushing bride” look and more in this priceless tutorial for DIY brides. (via Brit + Co)
27. Queen of Hearts Makeup: It’s easy to see why the Queen of Hearts was the most popular YouTube makeup tutorial this Halloween. Learn how to trump this look with the makeup you already own. (via Brit + Co)
31. Turn Yourself into a Mermaid: We don’t need to list the reasons you should want to look like a mermaid, but we’ll name a few anyway: try shimmering scales, iridescent lashes and a dreamy ocean blue wig. (via Brit + Co)
32. The Creepy (But Kinda Pretty) Doll Face: Kind of creepy, kind of pretty is just the uncomfortable balance you want to strike for Halloween, right? Then this doll face tutorial is for you! (via Brit + Co)
What were your favorite makeup tutorials from 2014? Were they breaking down basics or pushing beauty boundaries? Tell us which ones you clicked on most in the comments below.