Prince William and Kate Middleton’s Wedding Playlist May Totally Surprise You
Prince William and Kate Middleton, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, may be pretty darn formal while out in public on official royal biz. But most folks know by now that behind closed doors, these two are just like any other couple (besides the fact that, ya know, they live in a castle). That’s why despite having one of the most ornate weddings of our lifetime, they also happened to have a super fun playlist to make sure their celebration was the party of a lifetime.
With strict pseudo-rules dictating how the couple acts in public, fans of the royal family witnessed plenty of traditions when William married his love back in 2011. But when the cameras stopped rolling and the guests started partying, the newly married duo popped on a playlist that had nothing to do with etiquette and everything to do with having fun!
Check out a few of the songs on Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding playlist below.
1. “Your Song” — Ellie Goulding: The singer performed Elton John’s “Your Song” for the couple’s first dance, telling Vanity Fair, “I did their first dance and like, talk about scary. I was so nervous, my hands were shaking.”
2. “Mr. Brightside” — The Killers: Ellie Goulding and her band also performed a cover of The Killers’ “Mr. Brightside” for the new royal couple.
3. “Starry Eyed” — Ellie Goulding: Apparently one of William and Kate’s favorites, Ellie Goulding was sure to also slip “Starry Eyed” into her set.
4. “Superstition” — Stevie Wonder: Not one we would have guessed, but the addition of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” is awesome all the same.
5. “You’re the One That I Want” — John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John: Okay, now this is just an absolutely adorable choice. We really wish we could’ve seen the newly married couple grooving to this tune. According to Pop Sugar, a guest told the Mirror UK, “The Grease number brought the house down. [Prince William and Kate Middleton] stood holding hands in the middle of the dance floor grinning, then suddenly the opening bars of the song came booming out… Will and Kate began dancing around, pointing at each other and mouthing the words. It was hilarious.”
6. “Sex on Fire” — Kings of Leon: For the last song of the night, a DJ set a sizzling tone by playing Kings of Leon’s “Sex on Fire.” Oh my!
With the couple set to celebrate their sixth wedding anniversary on April 29, we have to wonder if any of these songs will be playing in the background.
What do you think about Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding playlist? Let us know @BritandCo!
(h/t Pop Sugar; photo via Chris Jackson/Getty)