12 Protein Shakes for After Your Morning HIIT Workout
After you slay the burpee game, you need something light and full of protein to jump-start your day. When a quiche or frittata isn’t an option, a protein shake could be just what you need to recover. You may have your post-run lunch recipes memorized, but you might need a little help making your shakes not taste just like vanilla protein powder. If birthday cake and red velvet sound good to you, then one of these 12 protein shakes will be right up your alley. Scroll down to find your favorite flavor combo.
1. Blueberry Muffin Protein Smoothie: If you thought your daily blueberry muffin tradition needed to take a backseat now that you’re working out, think again. With the help of vanilla protein powder, butter extract, and blueberries, this shake tastes almost as good as the real thing. (via My Recipe Magic)
2. Birthday Cake Protein Shake: It doesn’t have to be your birthday for you to enjoy a funfetti protein shake — celebrate that workout, girl! This one is Paleo-friendly… unless you decide to top it with whipped cream. (via Kelley and Cricket)
3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Smoothie: Nothing can get you through a workout like knowing you get a chocolate chip cookie dough shake at the end. Bonus: The addition of raw oats means it’ll keep you full until lunch. (via The Seasoned Mom)
4. Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Shake: You may think your chocolate protein powder isn’t as versatile as vanilla, but this shake proves otherwise. Pair it with strawberries, almond milk, and Greek yogurt to get a dessert-worthy slurp. (via Kitchen Concoctions)
5. Hazelnut, Peanut Butter, and Coffee Protein Shake: If Nutella, Starbucks, and Reese’s had a baby, it would be this protein shake. Could there actually be a better way to get your day going? We don’t think so. (via The First Taste)
6. Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie: Ben and Jerry know what they’re doing in the flavor department, so you know this chunky monkey-inspired shake is going to be amazing. The key is plenty of banana to mimic the classic ice cream flavor. (via The Seasoned Mom)
7. Vanilla Bean Protein Frappuccino: If you’re not into coffee, then the vanilla bean frappe is probably your go-to Starbucks treat. Thankfully, you can make a protein-filled dupe at home with *way* fewer calories. (via Dashing Dish)
8. Peach Cobbler Protein Shake: Fresh peaches give this shake a summery and comforting vibe that’ll make the intense exercise worth it. The secret to making it taste like Grandma’s cobbler is a pinch of cinnamon. (via Jennifer Meyering)
9. Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Shake: This shake may taste like it’s blended with a candy bar, but it’s actually pure cacao and powdered peanut butter that gives it its indulgent flavor. Add a spoonful of chia seeds for even more protein, and you’ll feel unstoppable. (via The Healthy Foodie)
10. Pumpkin Spice Protein Shake: Obviously, pumpkin is great in pie, but it’s a nutritional powerhouse when added to your protein shake. It’s full of fiber; vitamins A, C, and E; riboflavin; potassium; and manganese, and will keep you full for hours. (via Jennifer Meyering)
11. Red Velvet Cheesecake Protein Shake: There’s no reason you can’t have a little fun with your morning protein shake. Add red food coloring to your chocolate shake, along with cheesecake pudding mix, and butter extract for an indulgent red velvet transformation. (via Jennifer Meyering)
12. Vanilla Chai Protein Shake: If a chai tea latte is your usual morning pick-me-up, this protein shake will kill two birds with one stone. A pinch each of cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves are the key to that spicy chai flavor. (via Tastes of Lizzy T)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy recipe ideas!