You thought at one point that school would never end, but the final bell has finally rung. Your kids will be thrilled about the summer break, but how will you entertain them between vacations and camps? Don’t panic. We’ve rounded up a dozen killer ideas for banishing the word “bored” from your summer vocabulary. From road-trip upgrades to DIY fun around the house, this list is packed with stellar summer fun.
1. Color Block Games: Long summer days are best ended with family game nights. Add a little flair to plain board games with this color block technique. (via Brit + Co)
2. Wacky Road Trip: The U.S. is packed with quirky roadside attractions well worth the drive. So load up the car and add a little weird to your summer. (via NG in LA)
3. Learn to Code: Summer is the perfect time to learn a new skill. So why not have your kiddo take up coding? (via Brit + Co)
4. DIY Popsicles: You’d be hard pressed to find something that’s more fun to make and more delicious to enjoy than a homemade popsicle. (via Gimme Some Oven)
5. Collapsible Playhouse: We see hours of indoor fun in your future if you choose to create this amazing playhouse. Bonus points if you let your kids decorate it themselves. (via A Beautiful Mess)
6. DIY Water Blobs: Don’t have quick access to a pool? No worries. Just add water to standard plastic sheeting for instant water fun. (via Hello Wonderful)
7. Food on a Stick: Hot weather was made for eating food off a stick. If your standard burgers and salads seem stale, bring them new life by serving them on a skewer. (via Gourmantine)
8. Bubble Wrap Stomp Painting: When it’s just too hot to head outside, prepare to make a fun-filled mess inside with a little bubble wrap and paint. (via Mess for Less)
9. Huge Bubbles: You’ll never go back to standard bubbles after you realize how thrilling it is to create these massive ones. (via Baby Savers)
10. Nature Scavenger Hunt: Who knew a paper bag and a little creativity could make for such a fun outdoor adventure? (via Five Little Chefs)
11. Pool Noodle Upgrade: Pool toys are a must in the summer. This simple DIY turns a traditional pool noodle into an epic Star Wars weapon. (via View From the Fridge)
12. Sidewalk Chalk Upgrade: Sidewalk chalk has long been a summer staple, but these ideas will bring your driveway drawings to the next level. (via Brit + Co)
What’s your favorite way to entertain your kids during the summer? Tell us your ideas below!