Despite the fact that studies say selfie-takers are vain, the trend doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon, and if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em, right? Here at Brit + Co, we’re embracing all things selfie these days, from the best selfie apps and gadgets to advice from the selfie queen herself, Kim Kardashian. We’re also taking a look at some of the world’s most masterful selfies as taken by the stars themselves, ranking them on a scale from one (cute, but relatively tame) to five (really, really, f-ing good). Check out this week’s picks below!
1. Gina Rodriguez, Selfie Rating 3/5: Gina gets the week started off right with a little help from her friends at Snapchat filter. Though she gets a solid three for her deer face and serious neck movement (that ‘tude, tho!), she fell just short of the competition, which, in her defense, was pretty fierce this week.
2. Lucy Liu, Selfie Rating 2/5: Lucy makes this week’s list by packing as much star power into her shot as she can while appearing as a guest on The Late Late Show With James Corden. We’re deducting points for originality and lack of creativity, as it’s clear the shot was inspired by Ellen’s infamous Oscars selfie.
3. Miley Cyrus, Selfie Rating 4/5: Everything about this The Voice coach’s selfie is epic, from the fuzzy hat to the glasses to the tongue-in-cheek necklace. Miley genuinely DGAF, and we’re loving every minute of it. Though she missed out on a perfect five for the smokes (bleh!), she’s doing pretty alright in the selfie game. Eat your heart out, X-tina!
4. Selma Blair, Selfie Rating 2/5: Selma and her son’s war-painted faces make their way onto our list with two easy points on the cuteness scale, though can’t quite clinch the five based on the lack of difficulty (that face was a shoo-in).
5. Reese Witherspoon, Selfie Rating 4/5: …and it’s a battle of the Snapchat filter singing selfies! Reese Witherspoon gives Gina a run for her money with her rendition of “In Bloom” by Nirvana, getting a leg up on the Jane the Virgin star if only for those buck teeth.
6. Rebel Wilson, Selfie Rating 1/5: While the selfie itself isn’t particularly groundbreaking (nice chomps though, Rebel), the caption, which proves that Rebel is all of us, is a win, sneaking her into the top 10 with a solid one. “#America — I’m eating In ‘N Out and watching the Emmys right now,” she writes. Us too, Rebel. Us too.
7. Olivia Wilde, Selfie Rating 3/5: One need only watch the Red Hot Chili Peppers Carpool Karaoke video with James Corden to gain an instantly newfound appreciation for this selfie, though the lack of vibrancy (read: color) and indirect gazes docked her down to a three.
8. Paris Hilton, Selfie Rating 2/5: ‘Cause what’s better than an uber-famous ‘00s It-girl than two of them, both adorned in chains? Maybe uber-famous ’10s girls? Minus three for being dated.
9. Emilia Clarke, Selfie Rating 3/5: Emilia Clarke gets a three for this selfie, simply for being so gosh darn adorable. She potentially had a five here, save for the lack of clarity. “THANK YOU JIMMY AND JIMMY’S MOM!” she writes. WHO IS JIMMY? We need to know. Dock two for you!
10. Kristen Bell, Selfie Rating 5/5: Not only did Kristen Bell win our vote for best dressed at last Sunday’s Emmy awards, we also have to hand it to her in the selfie game department. Though she posted several hilarious contenders for best selfie on her big night, this one has to take the cake. “The shading on my chin tonight was courtesy of pizza sauce,” she writes. A PERFECT FIVE!
Who do you think deserved best selfie honors? Share over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)